Drogba, Cristiano, Portugal teammates join fight against coronavirus
Sports
By
Robert Abong'o
| Apr 13, 2020
As of 2:45 pm, Monday, April 13, 2020, the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) had recorded well over 1.5 million infections, with www.worldometers.info reporting a 1,865,015 recorded cases, 115,138 deaths and 433,915 recoveries globally.
In the United States of America alone, Covid-19 had claimed more than 22,000 lives, with over half a million confirmed cases.
In Kenya, there were 197 reported cases and a total of eight deaths.
Health workers worldwide have been working day and night in their various disciplines to help ensure the virus is either contained, lives are saved and a method of treatment is found.
In the word of sport, significant sports personalities have joined the fight against Covid-19 either by offering huge cash donations, opening facilities or showing support through social media.
READ MORE
Chaka's housing boom bets on investors' demand for city-style
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Africa Summit win for Kenya and continent, but on whose terms?
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
KMPDU demands security after mob raids Naivasha hospital, steals body
Flower industry loses Sh200m as transport strike hits JKIA cargo
Football’s biggest stars, including former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba and Juventus and Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo have found methods of contributing to community.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner and his Seleção teammates have reportedly donated have of the bonus for Euro 2020 qualification to help small football clubs in Portugal stay afloat, according to AFP.
On Monday, April 13, Portugal’s Football Federation revealed the money would be directed towards another fund, which is projected to reach up to 5.1 million dollars (Sh540 million) to help clubs survive during this virus-stricken period.
The Portuguese league was declared null and void last week, with no champions declared, promotions announced or relegations effected.
"It’s fundamental that the championships end because it would allow some sort of normality to be restored and we could prepare for next season knowing who has qualified for international competitions, who the champions are and who is relegated," Pedro Proenca, president of the Portuguese league said.
Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has also joined the coronavirus fight by offering his hospital in Ivory Coast and has proposed the use of the Laurent Pokou hospital in Abidjan.
Drogba made 105 appearances for Cote D’Ivoire and scored 65 goals.
"We thank Drogba for this gift considered as an act of patriotism," said Vincent Toh Bi, the city's regional council head.
In the Ivory Coast, there have been a total of four deaths and 533 reported cases.