Samsung halts business with Chinese supplier over child labor fears

Sci & Tech
By Reuters | Jul 14, 2014

Samsung Electronics Co Ltd said on Monday it had suspended business with a Chinese supplier it suspected of employing child labor, less than a week after a U.S. watchdog report accused the supplier of using under-aged workers.

The South Korean smartphone maker said it found an "illegal hiring process" at Dongguan Shinyang Electronics Co Ltd, which supplies mobile phone covers and parts.

Dongguan Shinyang Electronics could not immediately be reached for comment. South Korean firm Shinyang Engineering Co Ltd., which owns all of Dongguan Shinyang, also could not be immediately reached for comment.

 Samsung added that it had previously found no child workers at the Chinese company in three audits since 2013. The latest audit ended on June 25.

"The Chinese authorities are also looking into the case," Samsung said in a statement on Monday, adding that it would cut all ties with the supplier if the allegations were true.

"If the investigations conclude that the supplier indeed hired children illegally, Samsung will permanently halt business with the supplier in accordance with its zero-tolerance policy on child labour," it said.

U.S.-based China Labor Watch released a report on Thursday alleging that the Chinese firm used child labor. The U.S. watchdog said it had found "at least five child workers" without contracts at the supplier.

Samsung demands suppliers adopt a hiring process that includes face-to-face interviews and the use of scanners to detect fake IDs, to ensure no child labourers are employed.

But China Labor Watch said that Samsung's monitoring system was ineffective.

The watchdog accused one of Samsung's suppliers of using child labor in 2012. Samsung subsequently said it found no under-aged workers at the facility.

Share this story
Inside Victor Omune's Ingwe push to fulfil father's dream
When AFC Leopards SC won the KPL trophy in 1998, three-quarters of the current club’s playing unit was not yet born. We are out to break this 28-year-old jinx
Stage set for the final Counties Intermediate Championships
As branches get ready for Counties Intermediate Boxing Championships starting tomorrow, they are ready to stop the dominance of Nairobi in the National Championships next week.
Government steps up sports infrastructure expansion with new Thika Stadium
The national government has stepped up its push to expand sports infrastructure across the country after breaking ground for a modern 10,000-seater stadium in Thika town
Bilbao winger Nico Williams out indefinitely with groin issue
Athletic Bilbao winger Nico Williams is set to miss several weeks with a groin problem and has no fixed return date, a concerning development for Spain ahead of the World Cup.
Enrique dismisses 'noise' around PSG before Monaco Champions League clash
PSG coach Luis Enrique dismissed any suggestions of dressing room disharmony as the reigning European champions prepared to put their continental title on the line
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS