Koyonzo seek redemption as Yala eyes East Africa ticket in rugby sevens

Rugby
By Washington Onyango | Jul 28, 2025

St Mary's Yala students lifting weights during a gym session on July 25.[Washington Onyango, Standard]

Former national rugby 7s champions Koyonzo Secondary School from Kakamega County are out to reclaim their lost glory as the Kenya Secondary Schools Sports Association (KSSSA) Term Two national finals kick off on Tuesday in Kakamega.

Koyonzo, who won the title two years ago, were knocked out at the quarter-finals last year by Western rivals Vihiga High School, who later lost the crown to Bwake from Rift Valley in Kisii.

The defeat was a big blow for the Kakamega giants, but coach Eliud Okwemba says his side is more prepared this year.

"We have corrected our mistakes from last year," Okwemba said. "The boys are hungry for redemption. Our focus is on discipline in defense and quick decision-making in attack. We know the competition will be tough, but we want to bring the trophy back to Kakamega."

The nationals have attracted top rugby schools, including defending champions Bwake, Kitondo, Nairobi School, Marsabit Mixed, Bungoma, Laiser Hill, Musingu, Gede, St Mary's Yala, Lenana, Mpesa Foundation, Bishop Baldachino, St Peters Mumias, Anjego Mixed and Alliance.

St Mary's Yala, who have finished third for the past two years, are keen to improve their ranking this season. Coach George Kerima believes his players are ready to push harder.

"Our target is the final this time," Kerima said. "The boys have shown great improvement, and we want to prove we can compete with the best."

Meanwhile, new Nyanza champions Sigoti Complex will be making their debut at the national stage. Their coach Gordon Otieno says the team is approaching the challenge with courage.

"We respect all teams, but we are not afraid. We want to enjoy the experience and surprise a few opponents," Otieno said.

In the girls' category, defending champions St Joseph Girls Kitale are determined to keep their crown. Coach Ivy Sikolia said: "We are building on our strong teamwork. The girls know what it takes to win, and we are ready to defend our title."

The national finals are expected to begin midweek with group draws to be confirmed on Tuesday.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS