Man linked to murder of two teenage girls in Bomet arrested

Rift Valley
By Evans Yegon | Sep 17, 2024

Police take control as members of the public mill around Sotik Police Station after a man linked to the murder of two teenage girls was arrested. [Evans Yegon, Standard]

A man suspected of being behind the killing of two teenage girls in Nyatembe village, Sotik has been arrested.

The suspect who has been on the run after the heinous act was arrested by homicide detectives in Kaptebengwet, Koinin Constituency where he was in hiding.

Sotik Sub County Police Commander Andrew Mbogo confirmed the arrest saying the suspect is being held at Sotik Police Station awaiting to be arraigned in court.

The arrest comes after the mother of the teenage girls aged 12 and 9 was arrested last week over her links to the murder.

The woman identified as Vicky Chirchir and her accomplice are believed to have collaborated in the murder of the two girls before they buried them in a shallow grave at their compound.

Police last week exhumed the two bodies as investigations continue.

"We arrested the suspect who had disappeared after he committed the crime. He is being processed before his arraignment," Mbogo said.

According to the police boss, the woman wanted to run after getting wind that their act had been discovered but was cornered and arrested.

"The woman was arrested on Tuesday while attempting to go into hiding after Noticing that their plot had been foiled," Mbohgo said.

Police said preliminary investigations indicate that Chirchir, the mother of 5 had been cohabiting with the suspect with whom they plotted to eliminate the two girls because the man had not sired them.

Share this story
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS