Bars in Kitengela to close at 11pm ahead of Nane Nane protests

Rift Valley
By Peterson Githaiga | Aug 07, 2024
Kajiado East Member of Parliament Kakuta Maimai address the Kajiado County Security Committee during a meeting on Aug 7, 2024. [Peterson Githaiga, Standard]

Kajiado County Security Committee has ordered all bars and entertainment outlets to close at 11pm Wednesday ahead of the planned Nane Nane protests.

The committee chaired by County Commissioner James Taari has banned anti-government protests along the Nairobi- Namanga- Arusha Highway.

Accompanied by Governor Joseph ole Lenku and Kajiado East MP Kakuta Maimai, Taari said that a contingent of police and other local security officers backed by the county government will be deployed to Kajiado, Kitengela and Ongata Rongai.

"We have agreed voice that all entertainment joints be closed by 11pm today, (Wednesday), this will allow our security forces to monitor those who are allegedly brought to cause chaos in our county, we will not allow what we saw during the previous protests," he said.

The administrator regretted that recent protests led to the loss of property worth about Sh1 billion.

During protests in Kitengela, a fortnight ago, police backed up by vigilantes cracked down on looters believed to have been brought in from another county.

Governor Lenku said that Kitengela and Ongata Rongai will be on high alert. "As much as we respect the right of any Kenyan to demonstrate, Kitengela and, indeed, any urban centre in Kajiado, will not be looting grounds," he said.

He warned of stern action against looters.

"We shall protect businesses by all means possible," he said

"We are tired of the chaos that we witnessed recently. Last week we managed to keep at bay looters and goons in Kitengela. We are warning anybody who thinks he will force business closure in Kitengela. We shall face them head-on," said the governor.

He urged traders to open their businesses tomorrow.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS