The only landing beach at Lake Oloidien in Naivasha closed down

Rift Valley
By Antony Gitonga | Apr 12, 2024
Herders drive their livestock to drink water in Lake Oloidien in Kongoni Naivasha after a perimeter wall blocking the corridor leading to the water body was brought down by members of the public after a private developer had fenced it off. [Antony Gitonga, Standard]

Tens of fisherfolk and ecotourism operators have been rendered jobless after Oloidien Landing Beach in Naivasha was closed down in unclear circumstances.

A private investor has fenced the popular public beach near Kongoni trading center, locking out over 200 people who have relied on the landing beach for several years.

Lake Oloidien is located next to Lake Naivasha and has been a source of income for tens of residents of Kongoni and Maella areas.

Following the move, the traders and local leaders have petitioned the National Land Commission (NLC) to intervene as the investor has erected an electric fence all the way into the water body.

According to Purity Wairimu, the chairperson of the landing beach, the facility was a source of income for several families in the center located 40 km from Naivasha town.

She said that the public beach was in operation for over ten years adding that their plea to government officers had fallen on deaf ears.

"The fencing of the land which includes the landing beach was done in the night and the fence stretches into the riparian land which is illegal," she said.

While calling on NLC to intervene, she said that the only corridor to the water body had also been blocked by some of the investors around the lake.

"Though the lake is a public water body, only the rich and the landowners can access it, leaving the poor to suffer," she said.

An eco-tourism operator Moses Karani said that following the impasse, tens of local and international operations have also been blocked from accessing the site.

He said that the move had rendered tens of people jobless with fears that their boats and other fish gear could be vandalized.

"The government is talking about creating job opportunities for youths but in Naivasha, powerful individuals are taking over public utility land," he said.

Karani noted that during the fencing of the beach, several structures were brought down and others vandalized by hired goons who had the protection of police.

Speaking on phone, Naivasha Deputy County Commissioner Mutua Kisilu confirmed the closure of the beach adding that the Kenya Fisheries Service (KFS) was addressing the row.

"The beach had been closed earlier after the fisher-folk fell out during their elections and the matter has been taken over by KFS who will come up with a solution," he said.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS