Slain Gen Zs families' hope for justice fading away

Rift Valley
By Daniel Chege | Jun 25, 2025
Maria Shikwe during an interview at her home in Kabachia Estate, Nakuru on May 10,2025. This Mother's Day is marked by sorrow as she continues to grieve the loss of her son, Austin Onyisa, who was shot dead on June 25, 2024, during the Generation Z protests. Nearly a year later, she is still waiting for justice. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

The families of Gen Z protestors shot dead by police during last year's demonstrations in Nakuru against the Finance Bill have lost hope of ever attaining justice.

Maria Shikwe, from Kabachia in Nakuru East sub-county, lost her autistic son, Austin Onyisa, who was shot dead on June 25, 2024, at the age of 18.

One year later, she is still waiting for justice as investigations into her son's murder stagnate at the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA).

"I lost my firstborn son. He was killed without committing any crime," she said.

On the day of the protest, Onyisa found himself caught in the crossfire during Gen Z's anti-Finance Bill protests in Nakuru while trying to look for his younger brother.

According to Shikwe, they had gone out to run an errand together, but upon returning, her second-born son was missing, causing her to worry due to the protests happening in the city.

She instructed Onyisa to search for his brother near the Statehouse while she went in the opposite direction to look for him.

"Onyisa was unusually delayed, and I began searching for him. When it got dark, I visited four hospitals and police stations, but I could not find him," she recalled.

The next day, Shikwe received the heartbreaking news that her son was at the county mortuary, having been shot dead.

"To this day, I still wonder what happened to him because he was not a protester. I keep asking myself so many questions. I sent my son out in search of his brother, and now he is gone, and I have not received justice," she lamented.

She added that her second-born son, who is also autistic, becomes distressed when he sees photos of Onyisa and often runs outside looking for him.

Shikwe noted that the investigative agencies keep asking her to provide witnesses to her son's murder, which she feels unable to do.

IPOA confirmed that the investigation is still active. "My son was calm and hard-working, and even though he could not read or write, he was a good person who listened to my advice," she shared.

Shikwe urged police officers to refrain from using excessive force, stating that it hurts to lose a life, even if it is not one's own child.

She expressed that she no longer lives in peace, and her two remaining sons are not only suffering but also bored without the joyful presence of Onyisa.

According to Shikwe, Onyisa loved reggae music and would entertain the family whenever his favourite songs played.

She recalled that he assisted her with household chores, including cooking, washing dishes, weeding, and cultivating on their small farm.

Following the death of her husband, Onyisa had taken on a fatherly role in the home, caring for his siblings despite his condition.

"He was like a father to them. Their father died, and now he has died as well. We are in the dark, and the house is mourning-lonely and silent," she said.

Shikwe remembered how Onyisa would escort his younger brother to Pangani Special School and ensure they returned home safely before dark.

"Right now, my second-born child cannot speak. He sometimes arrives home at 11 p.m., and once he leaves school, I cannot trace him," she explained.

"Continue to rest in peace, son. We miss you, and we will meet again one day. I pray that God gives us the strength to move forward," she added.

As Shikwe grieves, another family is still in shock after their loved one was shot dead during the protest. Violet Gwezima discovered that her son Kevin Madanga had been shot after searching for him for a week.

Madanga, 23, was shot three times when police officers opened fire after protestors attempted to breach the Statehouse in Nakuru.

A report indicated that he succumbed to his injuries two days later.

"We searched for him for a week and found him in the mortuary at Nakuru Level 5 Hospital, listed as an unidentified person," Gwezima recounted.

Her son was a first-year student at the Teachers Training College in Migori County.

"I am still in pain, and my heart aches for my son, who was very close to me," she cried.

The single mother had hoped that her son would be the one to uplift the family from poverty, but those dreams have been shattered.

"My son wanted to defend his fellow Kenyans, fighting for justice, only to be killed! They should have taken me instead of him," she lamented.

Mercy Katheti, Madanga's sister, expressed her grief over the loss of the family's saviour, who had been willing to support them.

"My brother returned home due to a lack of school fees. He went out to voice his frustrations about the harsh economy, only to be murdered in the process!" She sobbed.

Ngugi described Madanga as a joyful and peaceful person who had a good relationship with others. The family is still waiting for justice.

Share this story
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS