Gangsters torch posho mill in Homabay
Nyanza
By
James Omoro
| Sep 16, 2024
A businessman in Homa Bay County has suffered a serious setback after unknown arsonists torched his posho mill.
Dickens Oswago, a businessman at Nyandiwa Village, Kadwet sub-location in Ndhiwa subcounty suffered the loss early Monday.
It is reported that the gangsters raided Oswago's posho mill at 2am. They reportedly gained entry into the building by vandalising the wall.
The gangsters reportedly rushed to the posho mill engine that carries oil and set it ablaze.
Oswago said he realized that his mill was burning when he heard his mother screaming.
READ MORE
What we know about the South C building collapse
NTSA flags drunk driving, faulty speed limiters as 25 killed in road crashes
Ending digital violence not a 'women's only issue'
Ngugi wa Thiong'o and the African literary revolution
Why government should play greater role in fight against GBV
There's no shame for an abused man to seek justice and healing
My experience at SA's G20 Women's shutdown
Let's stop domestic conflicts turning into child murder
Thunder revolution: How city club is shaping the future of Kenyan basketball
Women's rights activists call for release of GBV taskforce report
"It was at about 2am when I heard my mother screaming that the poshomill was on fire. I woke up hurriedly to find out what was happening," Oswago said.
He rushed to the poshomill and found it burning.
"I saw my posho mill burning. We tried to salvage it but the mill was already damaged," Oswago said.
He explained that the incident interfered with his livelihood seriously.
"It was a very sad situation because this is the business I depend on to feed my family and educate my children," he added.
He appealed to law enforcement agencies to take punitive legal measures against the gangsters.
"I have recorded a statement with police. The gangsters have violated my rights," Oswago.
Kadwet Sub-location Assistant Chief Zachary Were said he had liaised with police who are undertaking investigations into the incident.
Were said they had found a mobile phone and pliers which had been used by the gangsters to vandalise the wall of the building where they posho mill was.
"I have referred them Kobodo Police Post to record a statement. The mobile phone we found at the scene will help police to trace the suspects," Were said.
He urged residents to avoid hooliganism and destruction people's property.
"Let us respect people's property and shun criminal activities. I urge residents to collaborate with us in helping to apprehend the suspects," Were said.