One dead, 12 trapped in gold mining site in Rongo
Nyanza
By
Anne Atieno
| Jul 09, 2024
One person has died and 12 others are trapped at a gold mining site in the Kanga area, Rongo Sub-County. [Courtesy]
One person has died while 12 others remained trapped in a gold mining site in the Kitere area, Rongo Sub-County, Migori County.
Five other miners were rushed to Rongo Sub-County Hospital having sustained injuries.
Out of the five, those who were seriously injured were taken to Migori County Referral Hospital for specialized treatment.
Rongo Deputy Sub-County Commissioner Joshua Matundura who confirmed the incident said they immediately swung into action to rescue the miners who were trapped in the mines.
READ MORE
What we know about the South C building collapse
NTSA flags drunk driving, faulty speed limiters as 25 killed in road crashes
Ending digital violence not a 'women's only issue'
Ngugi wa Thiong'o and the African literary revolution
Why government should play greater role in fight against GBV
There's no shame for an abused man to seek justice and healing
My experience at SA's G20 Women's shutdown
Let's stop domestic conflicts turning into child murder
Thunder revolution: How city club is shaping the future of Kenyan basketball
Women's rights activists call for release of GBV taskforce report
"At about 1.30 pm we received a report that there was an accident at a mining site," Mr Matundura said.
The entrance of the mining site is said to have collapsed trapping in 18 people.
Matundura said they have so far managed to rescue six and efforts are ongoing to rescue the remaining 12.
The first three people to be rescued were outside the mining site.
"They had finished their shift and were getting out when the walls of the mining site collapsed. The others were inside," Matundura said.
The deputy county commissioner who said the mining site was too deep for local rescuers to assist in the rescue operations appealed for assistance.
The mining site is 750 feet deep.
The incidence is the second that is being experienced in the area after one person died when the walls of a mining site he was working in caved in last month.
"That is the second case. The rescuers we have here have done their level best and want some assistance for them to reach the other 12 who are still trapped in the mines. We are positive that we will rescue all the people trapped in the mines," Matundura said.
Dr. Maurice Otieno, a Medical Superintendent at Rongo Sub-County Hospital confirmed that one person died on arrival at the health facility.
"Some came at noon and were discharged. Afterwards, we were told that more had been injured and we referred three to Migori County Referral Hospital," Dr. Otieno said.
Rescue operations are ongoing.