Kisumu protesters destroy Kwee funeral home two days after opening

Nyanza
By Olivia Odhiambo | Mar 30, 2023
Protestors storm Jaramogi Oginga Odinga mortuary in Kisumu over allegations that dead bodies were being dumped at the facility by police. March 30, 2023. [Collins Oduor, Standard]

Protesters in Kisumu have left residents in shock after they stormed and vandalised the newly launched Sh37 million Kwee Farewell Home at Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital (JOOTRH).

The facility was opened by Kisumu Governor Anyang' Nyong'o on Tuesday, March 28.

Barely 48 hours later, protesters who turned out for the Azimio protests, vandalised property and looted equipment at the funeral home. They had accosted police officers who had brought the body of a man who had been killed by a mob in Nyamasaria.

[Collins Oduor, Standard]

The protestors broke window panes and gates.

Kisumu Governor Nyong'o has condemned the destruction of the multi-million ultra-modern funeral home at JOOTRH.

Prof Nyong'o said goons posing as protesters, broke down a gate, damaged and looted expensive morgue equipment which he commissioned on Tuesday.

He described the attack as barbaric.

The Governor wondered why the police did not protect the facility from the gang which also carted away, computers and other valuable equipment.

He asked the police to track and arrest the criminals.

[Collins Oduor, Standard]

On March 28, Governor Nyong'o posted pictures of the morgue on Twitter, captioning: "KWEE FAREWELL HOME. Now open at Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital. Giving dignity to the dead!"

Kwee Funeral Home on March 28, 2023. [Courtesy: Twitter - @AnyangNyongo]
Kwee Funeral Home on March 28, 2023. [Courtesy: Twitter - @AnyangNyongo]
Kwee Funeral Home on March 28, 2023. [Courtesy: Twitter - @AnyangNyongo]
Kwee Funeral Home on March 28, 2023. [Courtesy: Twitter - @AnyangNyongo]

Governor had suspended demonstrations

On Wednesday March 29, Governor Nyong'o announced said his administration had indefinitely suspended the holding of anti-President William Ruto demos in Kisumu adding that he will join other protesters in Nairobi during the demos scheduled for Mondays and Thursdays by the Azimio la Umoja-One Kenya Coalition.

Shortly after, Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja asked him to hold the weekly Azimio demos in the lakeside county, and not transfer the protests to the capital city.

"Kisumu governor's idea of exporting his demonstrations to Nairobi, making our county the capital of demonstrations and associated mayhem is preposterous and totally unacceptable," Sakaja said in response to Nyong'o on Wednesday, March 29.

The Kisumu Governor then issued another statement where he asked residents of Kisumu to turn out in large numbers for peaceful demonstrations.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS