Tension high in Moyale after abduction of South Korean missionaries

North Eastern
By Abraham Fayo | Aug 13, 2024
David Lee, a South Korean missionary abducted with his mother-in-law in Moyale. [Abraham Fayo, Standard]

Tension is high in Moyale, Marsabit County, following the abduction of two South Korean missionaries from their home in Odda.

The victims, David Lee and his mother-in-law, Hiwi Sokk Cheon, were seized by armed assailants at approximately 9 p.m.

On Monday. Marsabit County Commissioner James Kamau confirmed the kidnapping in a press conference on Tuesday, August 13, 202.

According to Kamau, the missionaries were attacked at their residence within the Odda Mission Church (OMC) Secondary School compound.

The assailants, armed with rifles, forcibly entered the home. The identities of the attackers remain unknown.

David Lee and Hiwi Sokk Cheon, who were actively involved in missionary work in the region, were reportedly engaged in community outreach programmes when the attack occurred.

Eyewitnesses described a chaotic scene as the assailants took the victims.

The missionaries were known for their contributions to local development and humanitarian efforts.

National security teams have launched a comprehensive search operation to locate and secure the release of the kidnapped missionaries.

The operation includes ground patrols, aerial surveillance and intelligence gathering.

In a statement, Commissioner Kamau condemned the violence and reassured the public that resources are being mobilised to ensure the safe return of David Lee and Hiwi Sokk Cheon.

'Our primary focus is on the safe recovery of the hostages. We are working tirelessly to apprehend those responsible for this heinous act and to prevent any further incidents," said Kamau.

Residents have expressed concern about the impact of the abduction on the community, noting the important role of the missionaries in providing aid and support.

David Lee is also the son of the late Woncheol Lee, who was buried in Moyale last year.

The South Korean embassy has been notified, and diplomatic channels are being utilised to coordinate with Kenyan authorities.

The embassy has not yet commented on specific actions being taken but has expressed its commitment to working closely with local officials to resolve the situation.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS