Clergy rebukes Ruto-opposition public outbursts, calls for calm

National
By Olivia Odhiambo | Mar 20, 2026

From right: KCCB Chairperson Bishop Maurice Muhatia, with the Bishop of Kericho Catholic Diocese Alfred Rotich, during a media briefing in Nairobi on November 14, 2024. [Benard Orwongo, Standard]

 The Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB) has called for restraint amongst leaders following a public spat between President William Ruto and opposition leaders.

While condemning the President and his former deputy, Rigathi Gachagua, for lack of decorum, KCCB Chairperson Bishop Maurice Muhatia claimed the duo was embarrassing Kenyans.

He termed the public outbursts between Ruto and the opposition as "verbal indiscipline" that is indicative of something even more troubling.

Muhatia, who appealed to political leaders to exercise restraint, said there is a need to restore dignity in public discourse and called for decorum in public speaking.

Speaking at Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos County, during the reception of Rev Joseph Mwongela to the Machakos diocese as the coadjutor Bishop, Bishop Muhatia noted that the leaders were a poor representation of their generation, and they were struggling to identify with them.

"The children are listening to you and are shocked. The young people are listening to you, and they are traumatised because in you they see the collapse of their aspirations for leadership. The adults listening to you are embarrassed," he said.

While reminding the President and opposition leaders that Kenya belongs to over 50 million people and not only them, he argued that the public insults by leaders was a disrespect to the citizens and not only to the leaders.

"When you publicly insult each other in front of citizens, you do not just disrespect one another; you also disrespect the citizens. That is the message you are sending us, not everything that crosses your mind must be spoken," he noted.

He added, "Let us respect one another as we respect our brothers and sisters. You can disagree with people without insulting them. Disagreement is acceptable, but public insults are a disgrace."

Bishop Muhatia asked the political leaders to give Kenyans a break or find a bunker somewhere underground to insult each other just the two of them.

The Bishop noted that Kenya is loved by God, and citizens expect only the best from those who have been chosen to represent them.

"When you are done, come back and join us in nation-building. We love our country, we respect our leaders, but not when you behave in this manner. You are embarrassing this great nation. We pray for you that you may be transformed in your leadership and guide people to where God expects them to be, for these are children of God," he added.

President Ruto and the opposition locked horns earlier in the week in a mudslinging duel, name-calling, and raw insults that marked a bare-knuckle showdown.

On Tuesday, while on a tour to Western Kenya, President Ruto unleashed a bristling attack against his political rivals, a response to an earlier attack by Gachagua.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS