No child left out: Ruto directs all Grade 10 students to report to school

National
By Ronald Kipruto | Jan 22, 2026

President William Ruto, Meru Governor Mutuma M'Ethingia, Embu's Cecily Mbarire and others at the disbursement of NYOTA at Kinoru stadium.  [Phares Mutembei, standard]

President William Ruto has directed all Grade 10 students to report to school, regardless of whether they have paid school fees or obtained uniforms.

Speaking in Tharaka Nithi, Meru County, on Thursday, January 22, Ruto instructed chiefs to ensure that all learners report to school, including in their Junior Secondary School (JSS) uniforms.

Ruto said the government has made significant investments in education and urged stakeholders to accommodate students across institutions.

“I am directing that no child should remain at home because they do not have school fees. Every child must go to school because we have spent billions to educate our children. In any case, there is sufficient money for teachers and for our children to be taught in the first term,” said Ruto.

“So every child in Kenya must go to school tomorrow because we have provided the money to teach all our children,” he added.

Education Cabinet Secretary Julius Ogamba, echoed the directive during the launch of a book distribution exercise at the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD), instructing school heads to admit students who lack Grade 10 uniforms.

“Following the President’s announcement, and with the support of the Ministry of Education, principals in all schools are directed to admit students who have been unable to report to Grade 10 due to a lack of uniforms, using their JSS uniforms as we work to ensure Grade 10 uniforms are provided,” Ogamba said.

Earlier this week, thousands of Kenya Junior Secondary Education Assessment (KJSEA) learners from vulnerable households were stranded at home due to a lack of school fees or Grade 10 uniforms.

More than a week after senior secondary school admission officially began, many Grade 10 learners remained uncertain about their schooling, prompting the Ministry of Education to extend the admission window after data showed that fewer than half of the 1.1 million learners had reported.

But according to CS Ogamba, at least 90 per cent of the 1.1 million learners have managed to report.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS