CS Murkomen urges football fans to abide by CAF regulations

National
By Yvonne Chepkwony | Aug 13, 2025

Fans during the Harambee Stars and Morocco game at Kasarani Stadium in Nairobi, on August 10, 2025. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Interior Cabinet Secretary, Kipchumba Murkomen, has called on Kenyans to abide by the regulations put in place by the Confederation of African Football (CAF).

The CS urged Kenyans to respect CAF regulations to avoid more penalties, as has been experienced in the past two games played by Harambee Stars at Kasarani Stadium, Nairobi.

Speaking during Jukwaa la Usalama in Nakuru, Murkomen appealed to football fans not to flout the federation's regulations to enable the national team to reach the finals.

"I would like to ask Kenyans for the sake of our team, if we want Harambee Stars to reach finals, let's respect regulations put in place by CAF," he said.

The CS said that the fans are important as they offer moral support to the players.

"We don't want to miss the opportunity where our team plays without our fans, from a security perspective we would like to beg Kenyans to avoid going to the stadium without tickets," he said.

The CS warned that what has been happening at the stadium was bad for the country and creates security challenges.

He said that, for instance, if the stadium exceeded the required capacity, it would spark chaos and cause a security nightmare.

The penalties of reducing the capacity, the CS said, will be solved by fans buying tickets through the right channels.

Murkomen called on the Ministry of Sports, Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja, and other governors across the country, to erect screens in various places to enable Kenyans to watch the CHAN 2024 matches to ease the pressure to access the stadium.

"Of importance, we should all abide by the rules and protect our team, security, and integrity as a country. This is just a curtain raiser of 2027 where the country will be hosting the African Cup of Nations," he added.

He cautioned against defiance to avoid being banned from hosting the 2027 event.

The CS assured that enough security was in place to enforce the security measures put in place by CAF.

He said that CAF had highlighted security regulations which had been flouted by Kenyan fans, and reduced the Kasarani Stadium capacity.

During the two games, Kenyans forced their way into the stadium, exceeding the required capacity.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS