Lomorukai under pressure to fire officials in Sh600m graft scandal

Turkana Governor Jeremiah Lomorukai when he appeared before the Senate at Bunge Tower, Nairobi on November 11, 2024. [Boniface Okendo, Standard]

Pressure is mounting on Turkana Governor Jeremiah Lomorukai to overhaul his administration after recent investigations by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) over suspected embezzlement of Sh600 million.

Multiple sources yesterday revealed that at least eight senior officials are under scrutiny, with more arrests expected.

EACC has already frozen more than Sh180 million suspected to be proceeds of corruption, and the probe continues.

During the latest swoop last week, EACC officers recovered Sh6.5 million in cash from a personal vehicle belonging to the County Executive for Finance.

The money was allegedly stashed in secret compartments, fueling suspicion of a deep-rooted theft syndicate operating within the county ranks.

The controversy has sparked outrage from residents, leaders, and civil society groups who are now demanding a complete overhaul of the county's executive and the resignation of all officials implicated.

Turkana South MP Ariko Namoit was among the first leaders to speak out: "We can't stay quiet. If someone is implicated, they must step aside. We can't continue to suffer while others stash money in their cars."

His sentiments were echoed by Turkana North MP Shariff Nabuin Ekuwam who said, "Billions have come to Turkana, but our people still live in poverty. Where are the projects? Where is the development? We cannot allow this looting to continue."

Across villages like Kalokol, Lokichoggio, Nakukulas, Loperot, and Lokori, locals are expressing frustration over the lack of basic services. In these areas, water remains scarce, schools are poorly equipped, and health centers have no medicine.

"It's insulting to hear about millions being recovered from someone's car while our children sleep hungry," said Mary Apakol, a mother of five in Lokori. "What kind of leadership is this?"

Youth leader David Lotee called for fresh faces in the county cabinet: "The people want a reshuffle. We need clean, competent leaders, not looters."

Civil society activist Peter Enyenai added his voice: "If no action is taken, people may be forced to protest peacefully in the streets. But we still believe in institutions. Let EACC do its work and let those involved be held accountable."

Senator James Lomenen warned against shielding any suspect. "There should be no sacred cows. This is not about politics but justice and restoring public trust."

Behind the scenes, EACC is said to be tracking the flow of stolen funds, some of which may have been siphoned off through fake tenders, ghost projects, and shady suppliers. The agency has vowed to recover every stolen coin.

"We are following the money trail. Those involved must face justice," said EACC CEO Abdi Mohamud.

Governor Lomorukai has yet to directly address the scandal, but pressure is mounting from all sides. Residents say this is the moment for him to lead decisively or risk being part of the problem.

Nancy Ekai, a teacher in Loperot said: "We are tired. Let the Governor stop protecting people. Let him clean house. We don't want speeches, we want action."

Tension remained high in the region as County staffs reportedly evades offices in fear of arrests by the EACC sleuth.

Locals have also urged President William Ruto to take decisive measures against graft culprits across the country as devolved units have made day millionaires.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS