Mukuru kwa Reuben fires leave residents in pain and agony

Nairobi
By Emmanuel Kipchumba | Sep 28, 2024
A mother, who is among displaced residents in Mukuru kwa Reuben, breastfeeds her child on a piece of charred mattress. [Collins Oduor, Standard]

Residents of Nairobi's Mukuru kwa Reuben slum are still grappling with the aftermath of a devastating fire that razed their homes and belongings on Monday morning.

Over 76 households were affected, leaving hundreds homeless and uncertain about how to rebuild their lives.

When The Saturday Standard visited the site, groups of women and children sat on top of the charred remains of their homes, sharing a burned mattress.

Children slept while the women, looking desperate, crowded together; perhaps recounting their ordeal and comforting each other.

Despite the danger of remaining in the open, especially for women and children, they had nowhere else to go.

Displaced families at Mukuru kwa Reuben in Nairobi county . Their houses were destroyed by fire on Monday morning. [Collins Oduor, Standard]

This was the only place they had called home, now reduced to rubble and ash, with all their possessions including important identification documents gone.

With no sanitation facilities, water, or shelter, the air stunk of human waste, as the lack of toilets forced people to relieve themselves in the open.

The displaced residents said they have been sleeping outside, exposed to the cold, with their children by their side.

Sarah Okanya, who was breastfeeding her child at the charred mattress, visibly distressed, explained the situation.

"Since the fire, we have been sleeping here. Where else will we go when everything was burnt? Now the house is just ashes. We are struggling with our children with no food, no clothes, no washrooms," said Okanya.

A boy standing Infront of what used to be their house in Mukuru kwa Reuben in Nairobi county. [Collins Oduor, Standard]

Many children have been unable to attend school, and according to Okanya, some children whereabouts are unknown.

The fire, whose cause is yet to be established, left others with injuries in the process of running for safety.

Richard Mogaka, one of the victims, sustained severe burns on his face as he rushed to save children trapped inside the houses.

"We were still asleep when the fire started. I was burned badly while rescuing my children and others. I got out last, which is why my injuries are severe. Now, I cannot work to provide for my family," said Mogaka.

A woman trying to salvage some of her belongings after fire destroyed her houses in Mukuru kwa Reuben on Monday morning. [Collins Oduor, Standard]

Mogaka, has not received medical attention due to lack of money and is now pleading for help.

"I don't know what will happen to me. My face is badly burnt, and I need treatment, but I can't afford it," he said.

Mogaka, a father of three, has been grounded by the injuries, unable to continue with his daily hustle to support his family.

Jane Simon, another resident, said that the government has not offered any support to the affected households days later.

"The government has neglected us. We feel betrayed, especially by those we elected. We cannot even get basic necessities like food and sanitary pads for women. We are struggling to raise our kids out here," she said.

She said that her children who were used to a stable life, now question whether they will have to continue living in such harsh conditions.

One of the residents whose houise was razed down by a fire in Mukuru kwa Reuben slum. [Collins Oduor, Standard]

Peter Mbuthia, also a resident, pleaded for intervention from both the government and well-wishers.

"We are asking the government and anyone else who is willing; to help us with food, clothes, and to investigate the cause of the fire," he said.

Mbuthia criticised the slow response from the Nairobi county firefighters, that arrived after the fire had already burnt their homes.

Pius Muia, a community health promoter and a landlord in the affected area, said that many of those who were affected are single mothers.

"Most of the tenants here were single mothers with no one to turn to now. I appeal to anyone who can help to please step in. These people were raised here, and this is the only home they know," said Muia.

According to the residents, this is not the first time that specific area has been brought down by fire. In fact, it is the fourth fire within two years.

The residents are now calling for help and conclusive investigations into the causes of the recurrent fires.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS