SHA: Access to dialysis, cancer, and maternity services guaranteed

Health & Science
By Esther Nyambura | Oct 01, 2024
Ministry of Health Acting Chief Executive Officer Elijah Wachira. [Boniface Okendo, Standard

No contracted health providers will deny members access to dialysis, cancer, or maternity services, Social Health Authority boss Elijah Wachira now says.

His remarks follow several complaints from the public that some health providers have informed patients they will need to pay cash for these services moving forward.

Netizen DJ Krowbar took to X to raise concern about the potential impact on dialysis patients if SHA excludes them from its payment scheme.

Krowbar wrote, "This SHIF/SHA thing just threw a huge curveball on all dialysis patients nationwide. My wife just received a call from her dialysis center, where payments are covered by NHIF, and was told to pay cash, along with thousands of others."

He said that one dialysis session costs Sh9,500, a fee previously covered by NHIF.

Wachira reassured the public: "No member will be denied access to dialysis or cancer services. Maternity services should not be denied at Kenya Essential Package for Health (KEPH) level 2 and 3 facilities, and actively managed schemes will continue to access services."

The Acting CEO further clarified that claims for patients admitted before September 30 will still be processed through NHIF, regardless of their discharge date.

Reiterating his remarks, Health Cabinet Secretary Debra Mlongo noted that Kenyans covered by NHIF and yet to shift to SHA will still receive treatment.

However, they will be required to register as soon as possible.

"Those that were under the NHIF cover and haven't transitioned to SHA will still be attended to. No hospital will send anyone back home because they haven't registered. Instead, they will register you and treat you, " said Mlongo.

Their statements coincide with the government's official rollout of the Social Health Authority (SHA) today, which is set to take over responsibilities previously managed by the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF).

As of Monday, September 30, over 2 million Kenyans had registered under the new scheme, with more expected to join as SHA becomes fully operational.

Share this story
Arteta urges Arsenal to seize destiny in crucial Spurs showdown
Mikel Arteta has urged Arsenal F.C. to “write their own destiny” in the north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur F.C. after slipping in the Premier League title race.
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS