KNH unveils reconstructed face of boy after groundbreaking surgery

Health & Science
By Ronald Kipruto | Oct 24, 2025

Kenyatta National Hospital Chief Executive Officer Richard Lesiyampe, during the handover of Ian Baraka to his Mother, Beesy Kinya. [Benard Orwongo, Standard]

The Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) has unveiled the face of seven-year-old Ian Baraka, following a successful reconstructive surgery hailed as a global medical milestone.

Baraka's face was severely disfigured during a bandit attack in 2023.

The nine-hour procedure, conducted last month by a multidisciplinary team of specialists from KNH and the University of Nairobi (UoN), has been described as the first of its kind worldwide.

According to KNH, the groundbreaking surgery was made possible through teamwork and advanced medical collaboration.

"Baby Ian's recovery symbolizes what is possible when expertise, innovation, and compassion come together," said KNH Acting CEO Richard Lesiyampe on Friday, October 24.

Lesiyampe said the complex facial reconstruction has positioned Kenya at the forefront of advanced medical innovation.

"This milestone demonstrates not only our surgeons' skill and determination, but also Kenya's rising leadership in specialised healthcare. It is a message of hope to patients across Africa and beyond," he said, commending the surgical team.

Baraka sustained severe facial injuries when armed bandits attacked villagers along the Isiolo-Meru border on December 23, 2023, and a stray bullet struck him in the face.

The surgery was led by Prof Symon Guthua, Lead Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, assisted by Dr. Margaret Mwasha, Lead Consultant Prosthodontist, and Dr Andrew Okiriamu, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.

Share this story
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
World Boxing and IBA fete Kenyan referees as Mwaura promoted
Two Star 3 Kenyan referees and judges have been feted by World Boxing (WB) as Edward Kibunja Mwaura of Kenya Prisons was promoted by International Boxing Association. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS