Kenyans chase after Sh3.4m prize money in Nigeria tournament

Golf
By Mose Sammy | Nov 14, 2024
Muthaiga Golf Club's Nelson Mudanyi. [Mose Sammy, Standard]

A record-breaking field of professional and elite amateur golfers from 13 countries will take part in the 5th Edition of the Chief Ikenna Okafor CIO Golf Classic, in Port Harcourt, Nigeria.

The confirmed players are from Kenya, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Gambia, Cameroon and Nigeria.

According to the Professional Golf Association of Nigeria, several African countries have sent players to compete for a share of the 45 million Naira (Sh3.4 million) purse.

Kenya will send a contingent of six professionals and one amateur to vie for top honours. The Kenyan players are Nelson Mudanyi, Njoroge Kibugu, Mutahi Kibugu, and Greg Snow from Muthaiga Golf Club, Erick Ooko of Golf Park, CJ Wangai of Sigona Golf Club.

Others are Samuel Njoroge of Kenya Railway Golf Club, Jastas Madoya of Great Rift Valley Golf Resort and veteran Dismas Indiza of Kakamega Sports Club.

John Gitonga, who has a handicap index of 1.7, is the only Kenyan amateur in the delegation. Among the rich field of 106 players is the defending champion, Gift Willy, who will be looking to defend his title at his home course.

So far, the best performance by a Kenyan at this event was by Mudanyi, who finished 15th in 2012.

Meanwhile, after staging a successful Captain Caesar Mugo prize last weekend, Kiambu Golf Club will host 78 golfers for the Kenya Amateur Golf Championship - Kiambu Open.

This year's tournament has attracted a competitive field of top amateurs, including Josphat Rono, who is still thrilled after winning The Golf Park Open at home last week.

Local players, including Kenya One Michael Karanga, Mike Ngene, Steve Kiaro, and Joyce Wanjiru, will aim to prove their skills as they seek to wrest the title from defending champion Naomi Wafula of Vipingo PGA Baobab.

Currently, the course is playing short due to recent rains in the region.

"We are ready for top-level golf over the next three days as we welcome players to compete for a share of the Sh500,000 prize. We've recently renovated our bunkers, which will enhance the overall experience," said captain Mugo.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS