EACC officers visit FKF Nairobi offices in CHAN insurance scandal investigation

Football
By Robert Abong'o | Apr 28, 2026
Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Goal Project [Eric Njiru, Twitter]

Officers from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) today visited the Football Kenya Federation (FKF), Goal Project offices in Nairobi, as part of an ongoing investigation into the insurance scandal currently rocking the federation.

On Friday, April 24, 2026, nine National Executive Committee (NEC) members suspended FKF President Hussein Mohammed, acting-CEO Dennis Gicheru and NEC member Abdallah Yusuf over the saga and appointed Mariga the acting-President.

FKF acting president McDonald Mariga called on authorities to carry out a speedy probe into the reported loss of Sh42 million insurance funds meant for the African Nations Championship (CHAN) 2024, co-hosted by Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.

This after the explosive allegation, supported by bank documents, a damning letter from the Insurance Regulatory Authority (IRA), and a procurement trail pointing to a transaction under FKF President Hussein Mohammed, in which brokerage fees worth $328,735 (Sh42.4 million) were wired to a company with no licence to operate.

EACC’s visit forms part of the ongoing investigation process, still in its preliminary phase. The commission is fast-tracking investigations and intends to conclude them as soon as possible.

The commission is focused on analysing documents collected, as FKF had earlier been asked to provide key details to support the process.

Embattled Football Kenya Federation (FKF) President Hussein Mohammed has dismissed the National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting that suspended him, terming it unlawful and unconstitutional.

In a statement issued on Friday, April 24, hours after his suspension, Mohammed said the meeting was not convened in line with the FKF Constitution. Therefore, any decisions arising from it were invalid.

“The purported meeting was not convened in accordance with the FKF Constitution (2017) and is therefore irregular, unlawful and unconstitutional. Consequently, any decisions arising from it are null and void,” he said.

Citing Article 38 of the Constitution, Mohammed maintained that only the president of the federation is mandated to convene NEC meetings, except under specific conditions in which members may do so.

FKF confirmed the EACC raid and duly engaged with the officers, with President Hussein committing to fully support the process.

"We welcome the involvement of the EACC and reaffirm our full cooperation with the process. As a federation, we are committed to upholding the highest standards of integrity and transparency. We are confident that the facts will come to light through a fair and thorough process, and we will continue to support all efforts aimed at safeguarding accountability within Kenyan football," said part of the statement.

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS