Tuchel warns Bellingham must fight for England berth at World Cup

Football
By AFP | Nov 12, 2025
Jude Bellingham looks on during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Group K Qualifying match vs Latvia at Wembley Stadium in London, England, on March 24, 2025. [Kevin Hodgson/AFP]

Thomas Tuchel has warned Jude Bellingham that the Real Madrid midfielder faces a fight to earn a place in England's starting line-up at the World Cup.

Bellingham is back in Tuchel's squad for their final World Cup qualifiers against Serbia and Albania this week after being left out of the last international gathering in October.

The 22-year-old had just returned from shoulder surgery when Tuchel opted against selecting him for the Wales and Latvia matches last month, allowing Aston Villa's Morgan Rogers to shine in the number 10 role for England.

Rogers' impressive performances have presented Tuchel with an intriguing dilemma as he looks ahead to next year's World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

"Rather than finding a position for the best players to have them on the field, it is maybe better to put everyone in their best position and have a competition," Tuchel told reporters on Wednesday when asked if he would try to fit both players into his team.

"At the moment the competition is between the two of them. They are friends so it is a friendly competition.

"They don't have to be enemies and hate each other. They are respectful and they fight for the same position.

"Can they play together? Yes, but in a different structure and now is not the moment to change the structure."

Bellingham's return comes after Tuchel was forced to apologise earlier this season for claiming his mother found some of the playmaker's on-pitch antics "repulsive".

The standards are clear

Tuchel, who also recalled Phil Foden after he was left out of the previous three England squads, insisted Bellingham and the Manchester City forward both seem happy to be back in the fold.

But he made it clear that England's strong performances without Bellingham and Foden showed they are not guaranteed to waltz back into his side.

"It has been good to have him (Bellingham) back. There has been a good atmosphere in the last two days and everyone is happy to be in camp," Tuchel said.

"It is always nice to have Phil around, he is a nice guy and like Jude, he is part of this squad and happy to be together.

"I expect what they show. Be straightaway part of the group and why should it be awkward for them? We were driving the levels and standards without them.

"We are obliged to drive our own standards and build what we can build. Now they are back and it is their responsibility to contribute to this and it is what they are doing. The standards are clear."

Group K winners England secured their World Cup berth with a 5-0 rout of Latvia in October.

Tuchel has won seven of his eight matches, including six World Cup qualifiers without conceding a single goal.

After hosting Serbia on Thursday and travelling to Albania on Sunday, Tuchel has only two friendlies remaining in March before he has to name his World Cup squad.

Regardless of who makes it into his group for the tournament, the former Chelsea and Bayern Munich boss is pleased with the unity he has managed to create in less than a year in charge.

"What we are trying is to build a strong bond, to build an energy, a team, a brotherhood that everybody wants to join and to also build a competition that everybody knows that if they pull out in the wrong moment, the door can be closed because someone else will take their place," he said.

"It is not as a threat but the other way around. We are absolutely on the way. Everybody wanted to be part of the camp. Everybody was desperate to come.

"It is an energy that feeds itself and this at the moment is the place where we are."

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS