FKF President visits injured photojournalist, federation to investigate attack

Football
By Molly Chebet | Apr 29, 2025

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) President Hussein Mohammed visited veteran Nation Media Group photojournalist Chris Omollo at the Nairobi hospital on April 29, 2025 [Courtesy]

The Football Kenya Federation (FKF) has visited veteran Nation Media Group photojournalist Chris Omollo at the Nairobi hospital after he was allegedly attacked by police officers during the Gor Mahia FC vs. Mara Sugar Football Kenya Federation (FKF PL) match

This comes after Omollo was hit on the head by a police officer, leading him to collapse despite identifying himself.

The attack brewed this reaction from the Sports Journalists Association of Kenya (SJAK) since it is not the first concerning case regarding the security of journalists and fans during local matches. The game was played on Sunday, April 27, 2025, at Dandora Stadium in Nairobi.

At the stadium, journalists are instructed to use a different and separate entrance to avoid congestion while getting in. In accord with the witnesses, Chris was struck as he made his way to the stadium. To add salt to the injury, he became unconscious and broke his spectacles. The photojournalist had previously undergone a head surgery and the assault made his condition alarming.

The federation stated that the president, Hussein Mohammed, has visited the photojournalist in hospital to express support and solidarity. They have also launched an internal investigation into the matter, working closely with the relevant stakeholders and authorities to ensure a thorough and transparent process.

"We strongly condemn the attack on Chris, as well as the incidents involving fans and other journalists. We remain committed to making our stadia safe and welcoming environments for all," the federation said.

In a statement, Sports Journalists Association of Kenya (SJAK) President James Waindi strongly denounced the assault, describing it as "unprovoked and unacceptable," while highlighting the essential contribution of journalists in advancing and supporting the sports industry.

"We strongly condemn this brutal assault. The safety of sports journalists must be protected at all times. We demand swift disciplinary action against the officer involved," he said.

He insisted that if FKF and the Ministry of Interior fail to swiftly address the escalating violence during match days, SJAK would rally sports journalists across the country to stage a collective boycott of FKF Premier League fixtures and enforce a total media blackout on football-related coverage.

Share this story
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS