Newcastle boss Howe returns to work after pneumonia

Football
By AFP | Apr 24, 2025

Newcastle United's English head coach Eddie Howe applauds fans on the pitch after a match on April 7, 2025. [AFP]

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe has returned to work at the club's training centre after recovering from pneumonia, the Premier League outfit said on Thursday.

Howe, 47, was admitted to the hospital earlier this month and missed league games against Manchester United, Crystal Palace and Aston Villa.

"Newcastle United are delighted to confirm that Eddie Howe has returned to his duties at the club's training centre," the club said.

"Eddie had recently been hospitalised with pneumonia and has now returned to work after a period of recovery.

"We thank supporters for their warm wishes."

Fifth-placed Newcastle beat United and Palace convincingly under the stewardship of assistant manager Jason Tindall but lost heavily to Aston Villa.

The Magpies, who won the League Cup last month, host lowly Ipswich on Saturday and are hoping to regain momentum in their push for Champions League qualification.

The top five finishers in the Premier League will all qualify for Europe's top club competition next season.

Liverpool are on the brink of the Premier League title and Arsenal are favourites to finish second but just four points separate third-placed Manchester City from Villa, in seventh spot.

Share this story
Arteta urges Arsenal to seize destiny in crucial Spurs showdown
Mikel Arteta has urged Arsenal F.C. to “write their own destiny” in the north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur F.C. after slipping in the Premier League title race.
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS