Slot 'hates' offside rule that gave Liverpool win over Everton

Football
By AFP | Apr 03, 2025
Liverpool's Egyptian striker Mohamed Salah (L) leaves the pitch after being substituted off for Liverpool's Japanese midfielder Wataru Endo during the English Premier League football match between Liverpool and Everton at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on April 2, 2025. [AFP]

Liverpool manager Arne Slot said he does not agree with the offside rule that meant Diogo Jota's goal stood to beat Everton 1-0 on Wednesday, but that the right decision was made.

Jota fired home the only goal just before the hour mark at Anfield as Liverpool opened up a 12-point lead at the top of the Premier League.

Luis Diaz had been in an offside position when James Tarkowski cut out a pass towards the Colombian.

But Diaz then pounced on the loose ball to tee up Jota to drill in his first goal since January.

Everton boss David Moyes said he was disappointed to lose a derby to a "clearly offside goal".

However, Slot said the officials did get the decision right as the rules stand given Tarkowski deliberately played the ball.

"It was not offside, according to the rules," said Slot.

"Do I like the rule? No, I don't like the rule. I hate that rule but the execution of the rule was fortunately for us today well done in that situation."

The goal was the second highly controversial call of the game after Tarkowski avoided a red card just 11 minutes in for a wild lunge on Alexis Mac Allister.

The Everton captain was given a yellow card by referee Samuel Barrott, who was not instructed by VAR to review his original decision.

Slot said he did not need to comment on the decision as so many others had spoken out on the challenge.

Former Manchester United captain Gary Neville described it as a "leg breaker" in his role as a pundit commentating on the match.

Even Moyes accepted that Tarkowski was lucky to stay on the field.

"Since I have seen it, we could have been lucky we didn't get a red," said Moyes.

"It looked a high one. I think it was the follow through that looked worse."

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS