Man City defender Mendy to remain in custody after being denied bail

Football
By Reuters | Sep 01, 2021
April 3, 2021 file photo, Manchester City's Benjamin Mendy looks on during their English Premier League soccer match against Leicester City at the King Power Stadium in Leicester, England. AP

Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy was refused bail by Chester Crown Court on Wednesday and will remain in custody ahead of a potential trial on rape and sexual assault charges, British media reported.

The 27-year-old was remanded in custody last Friday after appearing at Chester Magistrates' Court a day after being reportedly charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

Mendy has not yet formally entered a plea, according to reports, but his lawyer said that the player has denied the allegations.

Mendy did not turn up for the bail hearing on Wednesday and is slated to appear at Chester Crown Court on Sept. 10.

The charges against Mendy, who has been suspended by his club, are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021, Cheshire Constabulary said last week.

The France international signed for City from Monaco in 2017 for 52 million pounds ($71.68 million) and has won three Premier League titles during his time in Manchester.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS