Footballer sacked after confessing to stealing teammate’s watch worth Sh8 million

Football
By Odero Charles | Oct 08, 2019
Lamine Diaby-Fadiga

Nice forward Lamine Diaby-Fadiga has been sacked by the club for stealing a teammate's watch, reportedly worth over Sh8 million.

Diaby stole Nice's £18m striker Kasper Dolberg’s watch in mid-September in the club’s dressing room, an incident which was reported to the police leading to his arrest.

Following the outcome of police investigation, the 18 year-old took to social media to apologise for his actions citing 'jealousy' as his reasons for taking Dolberg's watch last month.

"My difficult situation contrasted starkly the success and aura of Kasper, my teammate," Diaby said in a statement on Instagram.

"I took it out on him without having any reason to do so, maybe a bit because of jealousy.

"Instead of trying to battle on the pitch to provide him with competition for places, I reacted stupidly towards him. My actions were not taken out of an appetite to gain something from it, but out of disappointment, frustration and feeling discredited. Of course, I am only 18, but my age excuses nothing.

"I also took on the responsibility of reimbursing my teammate fully, which I have now done. I wish him a lot of success at OGC Nice and in his career. Maybe one day we will come across each other on a pitch and this affair will be merely a bad memory."

Nice striker Kasper Dolberg

Nice also released a statement on their website confirming they have parted ways with the player.

"Nice and Lamine Diaby-Fadiga parted ways on Tuesday," said a club statement.

"Following the theft of Kasper Dolberg's watch from the changing room, and the subsequent admission of the player, the club decided to cancel its contract with the forward with immediate effect.

"Above and beyond all sporting and financial consideration, Nice cannot and will not accept such behaviour that betrays the confidence that unites all the club's employees and all the members of the Rouge et Noir [Red and Black] family."

Share this story
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS