England coach Tuchel extends contract through to Euro 2028

Football
By AFP | Feb 12, 2026
England football coach Thomas Tuchel had his contract extended until Euro 2028. [AFP]

Thomas Tuchel has signed a new contract that will see him remain head coach of the England national football team through to the end of Euro 2028 in the UK and Ireland, the Football Association announced on Thursday.

Tuchel was confirmed as the successor to Gareth Southgate in October 2024 and has overseen an unbeaten qualification run to this year's World Cup in North America, with England winning all eight group games under their German boss.

"I am very happy and proud to extend my time with England," said the 52-year-old former Chelsea manager in an FA statement.

"It is no secret to anyone that I have loved every minute so far of working with my players and coaches, and I cannot wait to lead them to the World Cup.

"It is an incredible opportunity and we are going to do our very best to make the country proud," added Tuchel, whose previous England deal ran only until the end of this year's global showpiece.

The FA said that the new agreement with Tuchel would provide "clarity and full focus" amid speculation about his future after the World Cup.

Tuchel had been previously touted as a possible permanent successor to sacked former Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim, even though the English giants have experienced an upturn in form under caretaker boss Michael Carrick.

But in signing a new England contract, Tuchel appears to have ruled himself out of a post-World Cup move to Old Trafford.

The FA added that Tuchel's senior backroom team -- Anthony Barry, Henrique Hilario, Nico Mayer and James Melbourne -- had all also agreed contract extensions through to the end of Euro 2028.

"I have had so much support from (FA chief executive) Mark (Bullingham), all my colleagues at the FA and from fans wherever I go that I did not hesitate when asked to continue in this dream job," said Tuchel.

'No better candidate'

Extending his contract ahead of this year's World Cup in North America is a clear sign of the FA's confidence in Tuchel, looking to guide the England men's team to their first major trophy in six decades.

"I am delighted Thomas has committed to stay with us through to the Euros in 2028," said Bullingham.

"He was the right person for the job when he joined us for the World Cup campaign, and has only strengthened his reputation across the qualifiers...There is simply no better candidate available in world football."

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS