Government rolls out plans to avert congestion at stadiums

Football
By Mike Kihaki | Aug 07, 2025
A new look of the refurbished Kasarani Stadium. [Stafford Ondego, Standard]

The government has unveiled a string of tight security and logistical protocols to ensure fan safety and smooth operations, a direct response to crowd control challenges experienced during earlier matches.

This comes ahead of today's high-stakes CHAN 2024 clash between Kenya and Angola at Nairobi's Kasarani Stadium.

Speaking after a high-level interagency security briefing held in Nairobi, senior officials, Interior Principal Secretary Raymond Omollo acknowledged that lapses in deployment timing had led to congestion at entry points during Kenya's opening CHAN match.

However, he assured the public that such issues had been corrected.

"On Sunday, we had late deployment, which we have corrected. That late deployment is what led to the pile-up of people. Because we have now deployed in good time, people will be cleared as soon as they come, so there is no room for congestion," Omollo said.

He added that clear signage, properly placed barriers, and steward-guided access gates would be in place to enhance orderly entry. Fans are urged to comply with security and steward instructions at all times.

Omollo reaffirmed that Kenya's interagency approach was key to delivering a safe and world-class tournament, in line with CAF's strict safety, security, and fan conduct protocols.

"We reaffirmed the importance of interagency collaboration in safeguarding fans, teams, and officials, and ensuring. Any breaches, even outside the stadium, can attract penalties or jeopardise future hosting opportunities, tarnishing our image and undoing years of preparation," he warned.

Among the major protocols rolled out are ticket checks 1 kilometre from stadium gates, reducing pressure at final checkpoints.

Fans will be seated in designated areas, and entry will be staggered to avoid dangerous surges.

A CAF-approved list of banned items has been circulated. Thorough searches will be conducted, and anyone caught with contraband will be denied entry.

Jumping over barriers or unruly conduct will not be tolerated. Offenders will be removed or face prosecution.

"CHAN 2024 has put in place strict sectional seating protocols, well-trained stewards, and layered perimeter controls to ensure fans can enter and exit in waves, not surges," said Dr. Omollo.

Omollo assured Kenyans that the government will ensure the tournament is delivered seamlessly.

"Our goal is to deliver a safe, orderly, and exciting tournament. We will put our best foot forward to ensure we deliver a world-class experience for all," he said.

Nicholas Musonye, Chairman of the Local Organising Committee, admitted that previous delays in deploying stewards and frontline teams caused gate-opening setbacks.

"The delay was caused by the deployment of stewards and frontiers. We could not open the gates since we had not done enough deployment," Musonye explained.

He, however, confirmed that for Wednesday's double-header matches at Nyayo and Kasarani, all deployments were complete.

"For today's matches, the deployment has already been done. At Nyayo, by 11 am, the gates will be open to the public because the game is at 5 pm, with Kasarani opening at 1 pm since the match is at 7 pm," said Musonye.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS