Gor Mahia appoint former Southampton player Harrison as their new head coach

Football
By Washington Onyango | Aug 03, 2021
Kenyan Premier League giants Gor Mahia has officially unveiled Mark Harrison as their new head coach [photo courtesy/Gor Twitter]

Record Kenyan champions Gor Mahia has appointed Mark Harrison as the new head coach.

The Englishman, 60, jetted in last week and has been unveiled to fill up the gap left by Portuguese coach Manuel Vaz Pinto who parted ways with the club recently on mutual consent.

Harrison was at Camp Toyoyo on Saturday last week as Gor Mahia engaged AFC Leopards in a friendly game.

The two local giants played a friendly game after deciding to boycott a Premier League fixture that was scheduled to take place at Thika Stadium

K’Ogalo chairman Ambrose Rachier says they picked Harrison because of his understanding of the African football environment.

The former Southampton and Stoke City player has been in Africa having coached 13 clubs and among them Chippa United and Golden Arrows of South Africa.

He has also been with Zimbabwe’s teams including Harare City and Highlanders FC, as well as Botswana’s Township Rollers.

 “We had many applicants but we decided to pick Harrison as the man as he understands the African football environment having worked with a number of teams previously.”

“Language was another factor we considered as well as experience of the coach,’’ Rachier said according to the club’s website.

Our new coach Mark Harrison officially unveiled... welcome to Gor Mahia coach Harrison.

##Sirkal pic.twitter.com/lS6fYXeamy — ???? - GOR MAHIA FC (@OfficialGMFC) August 2, 2021

Sammy ‘Pamzo’ Omollo who has been handling the team since the departure of Vaz Pinto will remain as the assistant coach.

Harrison played for Southampton between 1977 and 1979, was at Stoke City between 1982 and 1984, and the two clubs are among eight sides he featured for during his active playing career.

Share this story
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
World Boxing and IBA fete Kenyan referees as Mwaura promoted
Two Star 3 Kenyan referees and judges have been feted by World Boxing (WB) as Edward Kibunja Mwaura of Kenya Prisons was promoted by International Boxing Association. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS