Criticism of Cavani ban grows in South America

Football
By Reuters | Jan 06, 2021
Football - World Cup - Group A - Uruguay vs Russia - Samara Arena, Samara, Russia - June 25, 2018. Uruguay's Edinson Cavani celebrates scoring their third goal with Diego Godin. [REUTERS/Michael Dalder]

The South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) joined the growing criticism of England's FA on Tuesday with a condemnation of the three-match ban given to Uruguayan Edinson Cavani for alleged racism.

Cavani was last week banned for three games and fined 100,000 pounds ($136,180) for posting an Instagram message to a friend with what the FA decided to be a racist term after his Manchester United side's 3-2 win over Southampton on Nov. 29.

The FA said the post brought the game into disrepute and ordered him to undergo "face-to-face education" as part of his punishment. The striker apologised for any misunderstanding and declined to challenge the ban.

"The disciplinary measure levelled on the Uruguayan player clearly does not take into account the cultural characteristics and use of certain terms spoken in daily life in Uruguay," CONMEBOL said in a statement.

Manchester United's Edinson Cavani tries to score with a header during the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester Utd and Wolverhampton Wanderers at Old Trafford stadium in Manchester, England, Tuesday,Dec. 29, 2020. [Laurence Griffiths, Pool via AP]

"Judgment of these kind of declarations... should always be made bearing in mind the context in which they were made and above all the cultural peculiarities of each player and each country.

"CONMEBOL condemns and always will condemn with the greatest energy any racism or discrimination but the specific case for which Cavani was sanctioned does not constitute one of them."

The statement followed similar protestations by both the Uruguayan Football Association and a union of Uruguayan professional players.

The country's Academy of Letters, an association dedicated to protecting and promoting the Spanish language used in Uruguay, also criticised the ban. 

Share this story
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS