Mission to recover Emiliano Sala's body and that of his pilot has begun

Football
By AFP | Feb 05, 2019
This is the first picture of the wreckage of Sala's plane found on the bottom of the Channel

British crash investigators on Tuesday launched an underwater operation to recover a body from the wreckage of the plane carrying Argentine footballer Emiliano Sala in the Channel.

"We are attempting to recover the body. If we are successful, we will consider the feasibility of recovering the aircraft wreckage," an Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) spokesperson said in a statement.

The light aircraft carrying the 28-year-old footballer and pilot David Ibbotson to his new Premier League team Cardiff City disappeared near the British island of Guernsey on January 21.

The shipwreck hunter hired by Sala's family with the help of funds donated by football stars such as Lionel Messi found the plane wreckage on Sunday.

The AAIB has since taken over operations. It revealed on Monday that an unidentified body had been found at the site.

But it warned on Tuesday that strong tides "mean we can only use the remotely operated vehicle (ROV) for limited periods each day".

"Regardless of the results, we will not be making a further statement until the families have been informed," it said.

- 'Technically possible' -

Shipwreck hunter David Mearns had earlier warned that "time is of the essence" in an underwater operation like the one being launched by Britain off France's northern coast.

"As tragic as the loss is, it's made much, much worse if the body is never recovered or (the family) never get an answer to what happened," Mearns said.

"Finding it is just the starting point. The AAIB has got to investigate it."

Sala was flying to join up with Cardiff from his old French team Nantes.

His signing was the most expensive in the Welsh club's history and marked what fans had hoped would be a turning point in its bid to avoid relegation from England's top division.

Sala and his pilot

Mearns said his discovery of two seat cushions on the French coast last week revealed that the plane had broken up.

"It's in one area (on the seabed), it's all one mass, but some bits may not be connected. So what you don't want to do is to disturb the body in a way that you lose it," he said.

Sala's family raised more than 370,000 euros ($422,000) in an online campaign to pay for the private search.

"Had that not happened, I don't think anybody would have searched for the plane," Mearns said.

"We were told by the AAIB that they didn't feel that there was much to be gained," he said.

The AAIB ended up chartering a ship to join Mearns on Sunday.

He said recovery was now "technically possible -- the water depth isn't an issue really, and the weather can be managed with the right ship".

"It's a matter of will to do it," he added.

Share this story
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS