How Nakuru became a paradise for serial killers

Capital Feature
By Yvonne Chepkwony | Aug 22, 2024

Suspected serial killer Ezekiel Sakwa escorted by Plain cloth police officers at Molo Law courts on August 20, 2024. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

A recent spate of killings targeting women and girls in Nakuru County has evoked memories of serial killers who previously caused fear among residents.

The arrest of Ezekiel Sakwa, a teenager who confessed to the killing of four women, citing rejection, brought back the memories of other self-confessed serial killers in the county.

Rongai Sub-County Police Commander Wilberforce Sicharani said the suspect was arrested on August 18, 2024, following information from residents.

Sakwa is being held in police custody after investigators requested a Molo court for more time to piece together evidence of his case.

However, his arrest has brought memories of serial killers who have previously preyed on women in Nakuru.

In 2010, Philip Onyancha confessed to the police that he killed 19 women, mainly prostitutes, and drank their blood. Onyancha is serving a 12-year jail term.

Onyancha's said he had been recruited into a cult by his teacher who told him to kill 100 people and drink their blood for good fortune.

On being arraigned, it emerged that he had two other cases pending at the High Court. Onyancha is serving time at Kamiti Maximum Prison.

In June 2022, another incident of murders targeting women was reported in Mawanga estate in Nakuru. According to police records, six women were raped, killed and their bodies set on fire.

The incidents, which occurred back-to-back within two weeks, left a chilling effect on residents, most of who have now fled to safety.

Share this story
Calm Nyanchama wins milestone Sigona Ladies Open title
The 25th edition of the Sigona Ladies Open, a ladies Golfer of the year Goty event, attracted a record turnout with a masterclass performance
Smiles fade away as national school games giants go into hibernation
The decline of these giants is due to changes in administration and a shift in the education ecosystem.
Shujaa finish third at Nairobi Sevens after losing to USA
Kenya Sevens have finished third in the opening leg of the 2026 HSBC SVNS Division two played Nairobi.
Kenya Lionesses fall to Spain to end Nairobi Sevens on a low
Kenya Lionesses ended their 2026 Nairobi SVNS Women’s Division two on a low after losing their fourth match of the competition 14-5 to Spain at Nyayo Stadium on Sunday.
Kenya Lionesses suffer narrow 5-0 defeat to Argentina in Nairobi
Kenya Lionesses lost their third match at the ongoing 2026 Nairobi HSBC SVNS Division Two tournament after going down 5-0 to Argentina at Nyayo Stadium on Sunday morning.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS