Germany firm BioNTech to cut up to 1,860 jobs as Covid jab sales drop

Enterprise
By AFP | May 06, 2026
Boxes of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine and Seqirus Fluad adjuvanted flu shot are kept in cold storage during an immunization event at the L.A. [AFP]

Germany‘s BioNTech said Tuesday it will halt operations at several sites, in a move affecting up to 1,860 jobs, as sales of its blockbuster Covid vaccine drop.

The biotech company plans to stop operating at three manufacturing sites in Germany by the end of 2027, it said, while a site in Singapore would cease work in the first quarter of next year.

Sites of former competitor CureVac - which BioNTech acquired last year - would also stop making vaccines, BioNTech added.

The moves will save up to 500 million euros ($585 million or Sh76 billion) in costs annually by 2029, BioNTech said, adding that about 1,860 jobs would be affected.

“BioNTech plans to align and consolidate its manufacturing network further where excess capacity is expected,” the company said.

“For each of these manufacturing sites, BioNTech is exploring divestment options, including a partial or total sale,” it added.

Reporting earnings for the first quarter, BioNTech said sales had fallen 35 per cent to 118.1 million euros, hit by lower sales of its Covid vaccines.

BioNTech‘s loss widened to 531.9 million euros (Sh80 billion) from 415.8 million euros (Sh62.5 million) for the same period last year.

“In 2026, BioNTech anticipates lower Covid-19 vaccine revenues compared to 2025, driven by declines in both the European and United States markets,” BioNTech said.

BioNTech is best-known for the mRNA-based Comirnarty coronavirus vaccine developed with US pharmaceutical giant Pfizer - the first Covid vaccine to receive approval in the West and the first mRNA vaccine to receive approval for widespread use.

The company has in recent times made a pivot towards developing cancer treatments based on the gene technology.

In March, BioNTech said married couple Ugur Sahin and Ozlem Tureci, who serve as CEO and chief medical officer, would step down at the end of their terms in 2026 to start a new business. 

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS