KUPPET calls off teachers strike

Education
By Stephanie Wangari | Sep 02, 2024
Kuppet Secretary General Akelo Misori addresses the press during the nationwide strike. [Wilberforce Okwiri, Standard]

The Kenya Union of Post-Primary Education Teachers (KUPPET) has called off the strike that began on June 26.

At a joint press conference on Monday, KUPPET Secretary General Akelo Misori and Teachers Service Commission (TSC) CEO Nancy Macharia announced the suspension of the strike, pending the resolution of issues by the TSC.

Misori stated that the Collective Bargaining Agreement had been honored, and medical cover reinstated. He noted that the TSC is working to secure funds to promote as many teachers as possible.

"In compliance with the court order, which was issued and is scheduled for review on September 5, the union has decided to suspend the strike. We urge all our teachers to return to their classrooms while we work towards the swift resolution of these matters as agreed upon with the commission," Misori said.

Macharia, on her part, expressed gratitude to KUPPET for exploring an Alternative Dispute Resolution Mechanism to resolve labor disputes.

"After a daylong meeting, we are happy to report to the nation that we have reached an amicable settlement that will enable our teachers to resume duty immediately," she said.

Macharia added, "The government has implemented all the provisions of the 2021-25 CBA with the teacher unions, specifically the second phase of the CBA, which was due on July 1, 2024."

She further assured that teachers who took part in the strike would not be victimized for their decision.

Share this story
China claims two snow golds at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
China claimed two golds on snow at the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on Wednesday, while Norway's cross-country sensation Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo raised his Winter Olympic gold medal tally to ten.
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS