El Nino floods: Step up rescue and relief efforts

Sports
By Editorial | Nov 20, 2023
A vehicle with two persons was washed away by heavy downflow of water at Kibiboni Lunga Lunga. [Kenya Red Cross X]

In May, the meteorological department warned that the country will experience the El Nino phenomenon later in the year. The weatherman said this was likely to start in October and could continue until January 2024.

Based on this information and our past experience with the El Nino rains, Chair of the Council of Governors Anne Waiguru said Sh15 billion would be set aside to mitigate the effects of El Nino and offer support to households that would be affected. Indeed, some counties took precautions to clear blocked drainages and even bought motorboats for any eventualities.

Unfortunately, that eventuality is with us as most parts of the country get pounded by heavy rains. Crops, roads and houses have been destroyed by the heavy rains as flash floods in the north cause displacements.

In the last few days, the coastal region has borne the brunt of the rains. Raging floodwater, unable to find its natural route, has flooded residential areas, made roads impassable, displaced thousands of families and left death and destruction in its wake.

By yesterday, at least 11 people had been reported dead while others were missing. Plans put in place to mitigate the El Nino effects should be activated to help families in need and where possible, help those marooned in dangerous areas to move to safer areas.

We are yet to see the worst of the El Nino rains, and everything must be done to ensure that no more deaths are recorded. It is likely that most counties relaxed their vigilance after President Ruto announced last month that the Meteorological Department had scaled down its El Nino warning.

The national and County government of Mombasa must step up rescue efforts and help in the search of survivors and retrieval of hitherto missing bodies.

Those whose homes have been destroyed require food aid, clothing and tents to be set up for them where they can stay until the rains subside. It is the least both tiers of government can do for their besieged people.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS