Lucy Kabuu's ex-husband appeals ruling in Sh70M matrimonial estate

Crime and Justice
By Daniel Chege | Mar 11, 2026

Jeremiah Maina, ex-husband of Marathon Star Lucy Kabuu, on September 23, 2025. [Daniel Chege, Standard]

The former husband of marathon runner Lucy Kabuu has appealed a decision that locked him out of their matrimonial estate, estimated to be worth over Sh70 million. Jeremiah Wamungu, who has obtained a temporary stay of the judgment execution, says the ruling would cause him irreparable loss and damage. He accuses the court of making an error and exercising inequity when it granted Kabuu all the matrimonial properties without considering his monetary and non-monetary contributions.

“The appeal is not frivolous because it challenges the 100 per cent award of the rental houses despite Kabuu’s admission that I supervised the construction and I managed it,” he submits.

Wamungu says the order granting Kabuu a property in Silibwet, Nyandarua, was an impossibility as the plot was merged to form a bigger property, registered in his name. Justice Samwel Mohochi, on February 23, ruled that, of the entire estate comprising over 10 properties, Wamungu would only get 20 per cent of the matrimonial home in Nyahururu. The case will be mentioned on April 14.

He claims that the court failed to consider that he solely developed the prime property at Free Area, Nakuru, between 2015 and 2025, a year after he and Kabuu had separated.

He claims that he sold the four properties in Nyandarua to help develop the property at Free Area, and it was not for personal gain.

He states that the court ignored that he previously owned vehicles and properties, which he sold to help develop the matrimonial property, when Mohochi ruled that there was no evidence of his contribution.

Marathon star Lucy Kabuu. [File Courtesy]

“The judgment was based on a fundamental misapprehension of the facts and unreliable, contradictory evidence from Kabuu,” he avers.

He points out that Kabuu had admitted that he was her coach as an athlete and allegedly helped her excel as an athlete.

He faults the court for ignoring that he made substantial financial contributions to the family's welfare, including their child.

He challenges the court ruling that he was a financial parasite who rode on Kabuu’s money earned from her winnings in Marathon, including Dubai, Tokyo, London, and Chicago.

He states that he is so aggrieved by the judgment that he was willing to provide security by depositing the original title deed for his property in Nyandarua, pending the appeal.

According to Wamungu, he would unfairly lose the immovable property in an irreversible consequence, including interference with the title deed, possession, and possible third-party dealings.

Wamungu complains that he is a retired police officer with no other source of income, and the execution of the judgment would unfairly leave him destitute and homeless.

He adds that he has no pension or income and has entirely relied on the disputed rental properties for survival.

He states that he has three children who are currently in school and entirely dependent on the rental income from the Free Area Plot for their fees and upkeep.

In his judgement that ended a 12-year wrangle, Mohochi ruled that he was satisfied that Kabuu was the financial muscle of the marriage that existed between 2009 and 2014.

He ruled that Wamungu not only rode on Kabuu’s earnings but betrayed her trust.

The court exclusively granted Kabuu ownership of a five-floor rental flat in Umoja, properties in Bahati, Free Area, Matukanio, and two in Nyandarua.

Owing to non-monetary contribution, Mohochi ruled that their matrimonial home in Nyahururu will be shared between the two, with Kabuu getting an 80 per cent share, while Wamungu gets a 20 per cent share.

The case will be mentioned on April 14.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS