Nyong'o threatens to de-register contractors bullying Kisumu County staff

Counties
By Olivia Odhiambo | Jun 09, 2024
Kisumu County Governor Prof. Anyang' Nyong'o. [File]

Kisumu Governor Anyang Nyong'o has threatened to de-register some contractors accused of bullying his staff.

He said the contractors have previously held his officers hostage demanding payments for works not done.

In a press statement, Nyong'o issued a stern warning and threatened to delete their bids.

"My administration will de-register contractors who will continue bullying my staff, the department awards contracts to individual entities and not amorphous groups. I will not allow 'cowboy and briefcase' contractors to overrun the department of finance," he said.

The Governor said it had come to his attention that some individuals claiming to be contractors with his government were conducting themselves unprofessionally while seeking payments.

"I appeal to all contractors doing business with the County Government to conduct themselves maturely and with decorum while visiting the offices. Unfortunately, some individuals have resorted to mob psychology, bullying of staff and demanding payments without following procedures," he said.

Nyong'o in the statement acknowledged that his administration owes contractors some money, under the pending bills, but warned that it does not warrant flouting of procedures and storming of public offices to demand payments.

He warned that his government will not tolerate any further misbehavior by the said individuals.

"Even as we strive to pay all the pending bills, my officers must be respected. Unfortunately, the finance department is full of individuals calling themselves contractors on working days, intimidating staff to pay files some which were already paid during the term of former Governor Jack Ranguma," he added.

Nyong'o's warning comes only a week after the finance department communication posted on the department's website requesting all pre-qualified suppliers, contractors and service providers for company ownership details.

The department requested the details to help with the process of updating company ownership details to the existing supplier database.

The step was taken to know directors of companies doing business with the county, since most directors' overlap in most of the other companies, demanding payments while other contractors are placed on pending bills.

According to the finance department more than Sh700 million worth of pending bills have been settled since the year began to date.

Chief Officer of finance Paul Waweru said the administration has pledged to clear all the current bills once the three months arrears of exchequer are released by the national treasury.

Share this story
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at the end of the season - reports
Pep Guardiola is set to bring his trophy-laden decade in charge of Manchester City to an end this weekend.
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
Arsenal are on the brink of ending a 22-year wait to win the Premier League after beating Burnley 1-0 on Monday, opening up a five-point lead at the top.
Kirimi powers to glory at VetLab Club event
Ericv Karimi is the overall winner of the eighth and final leg of the Kengen golf tournament series. 
Strathmore Swords bounce back to slice Eldonets in league battle
Strathmore University Swords bounced back from Saturday’s defeat to edge out Eldonets 67-64 in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) Women’s Premier League match on Sunday.
K'Ogalo silence Muranga Seal to move one win away from title
Record league champions Gor Mahia moved to within one win of another league title after beating Murang’a Seal 3-1 in a crucial SportPesa Premier League match on Sunday.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS