Iten Marathon preparations in top gear

Athletics
By Stephen Rutto | Oct 28, 2023
Women participate in 42km during the Iten International Marathon first edition held in Iten yesterday. December 18, 2022. [Peter Ochieng, Standard]

Big names are expected to line up in the marathon, with a keen eye on the race's Sh1 million top prize.

Preparations for the second edition of Iten International Marathon are in top gear, teams planning this year's contest have said.

Race organisers yesterday asked athletes to be ready to end the 2023 season on a high note with the race scheduled for Sunday, November 12.

Big names are expected to line up in the marathon, with a keen eye on the race's Sh1 million top prize.

Elgeyo Marakwet County, which pioneered the race last year, asked athletes to prepare well for the showdown.

"Banks such as Kenya Commercial Bank, Equity Bank and Cooperative Bank as well as Boresha Sacco are among our sponsors," the race organisers said.

They went ahead to say: "We are also elated that ChapaBet, Safaricom and Coca-Cola are among corporates sponsoring this year's edition. Athletics Kenya and the Anti-Doping Agency of Kenya are integral in the planning."

Introduction of 10km and 5km corporate fun races aims to make the second edition a bigger extravaganza, according to the organisers.

Athletes have been registering in Iten and Elgeyo Marakwet County Ward offices ahead of the deadline on November 9.

Participants will race from the start line in Chororget on the high altitude course Nyaru-Iten road. The finish line is at Iten town where the race award ceremony will happen.

Last year, huge numbers of fans followed the event along the course with an even bigger crowd cheering top marathoners at the finish line.

The 2023 edition is expected to attract large numbers of budding and experienced athletes training in Iten and the North Rift region.

Foreign athletes training in the country and those from abroad have set their sights on challenging local stars.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS