Ray of hope as Wote Stadium resume work

Football
By Mike Kihaki | Feb 25, 2022
A woman works at Wote stadium, Makueni county. stephen Nzioka, standard

 Works at Wote stadium in Makueni County have resumed with the contractor back on site after the project stalled for a year.

This follows the Ministry of Sports, Culture and Heritage signing a return to work formula with the contractor. 

Mark Muendo, who is the main contractor with his partner Nitram and Traphes were instructed to complete the remaining work within three months.

In June 2020, the CS alongside Senior National Government officials who inspected the project’s progress urged the contractor to expedite work at the 20,000-people maximum capacity stadium to have it ready by December 2020.

The CS said the ministry had allocated Sh 350 million for the completion of the stadium, allaying fears of further stalling due to cash shortages.

It was not long before the project stalled in December of the same year.

The contractor was due to hand over the Sh350 million facility to the government by the end of 2020.

Cabinet Secretary for Sports Amina Mohammed ordered the contractor, Mark Muendo, to vacate the site in December 2021 following the slow progress of construction urging the National Youth Service to take charge.

“We’ve decided we will hand over this project and two others to the National Youth Service as soon as possible so that they can undertake its completion within the shortest time possible,” said CS Amina on a tour to the facility.

The CS had assured Makueni residents that the Wote stadium was to be completed by October 2020. 

The National Youth Service was tooted to take over from the contractor but in turn, failed to take off due to lack of funds.

In November 2021, Sports Kenya Chairman Charles Waithaka assured residents that the 20,000 seater capacity facility was expected to be completed in February 2022.

 Makueni Senator Mutula Kilonzo Junior while on tour to the stadium last week said the project has remained to be a white elephant in the room affecting youth in the area who were looking forward to using the facility for their livelihood.

“Since its inception five years back (2017) the stadium has not been completed. I’m surprised other stadiums, for example, in Kirinyaga were allocated funds and now they’re complete. The people of Makueni have waited for a long time to own a stadium but the wait is running out. I’ll be following keenly to ensure this project is done,” said Mutula.?

Share this story
How Chinese elements shine at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
From alpine venues in the snow-dusted Italian mountains to the streets of Milan, the 2026 Winter Olympics have drawn global attention.
Thunder plot Equity Bank raid as Premier League tips off
The bankers will take on ANU Wolfpacks in their second encounter on Sunday.
Future Boxing Championships offer Kenyan boxers lessons
What it means for Kenyan teams’ participation in the inaugural Future’s Boxing Championships in Thailand.
Why Faith Kipyegon is making waves after winning 10km debut
Kipyegon, who is nicknamed the smiling assassin, is following in the footsteps of her training mates, among them two-time Olympic champion Eliud Kipchoge.
Recall times of Shikanda, Stars' diminutive defender
On May 26, 2007, Kenya, then coached by Jacob Ghost Mulee, played Nigeria in an international friendly match at Kasarani.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS