Hillside Endarasha Academy fire: Investigators rule out electrical fault

Central
By David Njaaga | Sep 10, 2024
Kenya Power Business Manager for Nyeri County, Duncan Machuka, during a press conference in Kieni. [Kibata Kihu, Standard]

Kenya Power investigators have found no link between a fault in the electrical network and the fire that killed 21 students at Hillside Endarasha Academy in Nyeri.

Duncan Machuka, Kenya Power Business Manager for Nyeri County, led the investigation, confirming that the company's installations, including meters, cables and transformers, were unaffected.

"Our team immediately switched off power to the school as a precaution. Preliminary analysis shows that supply was stable with no incidents reported at the time," said Machuka on Tuesday, September 10.

"Two prepaid meters in the school and nearby customers using the same transformer were not impacted," he added.

Machuka dismissed media reports alleging a network fault, saying the company would continue working with investigators to establish the cause.

The announcement follows President William Ruto's directive for a swift investigation.

Ruto, offering condolences to families, said those responsible would face justice.

"I have directed authorities to investigate this horrific incident thoroughly," he said, adding, "We pray for the recovery of the survivors."

The fire, which occurred last week, gutted a dormitory housing 156 boys aged nine to 13.

Police confirmed the average age of the victims was nine.

Emotions ran high Sunday during interdenominational prayers led by Rev. Thegu Mutahi of the Presbyterian Church of East Africa.

Parents and survivors gathered, joined by Health Cabinet Secretary Deborah Barasa and Nyeri Governor Mutahi Kahiga.

A post-mortem is scheduled for Wednesday, September 11.

The government is mobilising resources to support affected families.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS