New park fees killing our business, say tour operators
Business
By
Juliet Omelo
| Nov 07, 2025
Tourism industry stakeholders have warned that Kenya risks losing visitors to competing African destinations due to an increase in park fees.
In a petition to the Ministry of Tourism and Wildlife, tour operators say the new prices are eroding Kenya's advantage in a region.
They say that unless the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) fees are reviewed and the new 8.5 per cent gateway surcharge scrapped, the country could lose a growing share of international travellers especially to neighbouring countries.
"Last year, 20 to 30 per cent of travel into East Africa shifted to other countries. If a safari package jumps from about Sh650,000 to nearly Sh800,000 because of surcharges, travellers will choose another country," said Sike Mulwa.
Nairobi National Park entry fee rose from about Sh5,200 to Sh10,400, while other major parks climbed from roughly Sh13,000 to more than Sh26,000.
READ MORE
Why Kenya feels like 1895 all over again
Government push for disability inclusion
Groups raise concerns over Tobacco Bill
Why Ruto, Ouattara meeting is important for Kenya and Ivory Coast
Ruto hosts African leaders at State House ahead of summit
Bill for two decades of failure by football officials is now due
Amsons Group pledges Sh4.5b for hospitals
Governor Waiguru banks on street lights to power Kirinyaga's 24hr economy
Governor Nassir launches construction of Kongowea Level 4 Hospital
Operators say the timing and scale of the increments have destabilised long-term safari planning.
"If I have clients booked for November, 2026, they've already paid deposits. If KWS raises fees overnight, I cannot reprice the client. We absorb the loss. We are killing the product before it grows," said Mulwa.
The operators also accuse KWS of introducing an un-gazetted 8.5 per cent surcharge through its pay system, which is not receipted.
"Within a week, a high-volume operator can lose a substantial portion of their margin," Mulwa said.
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
The Ministry of Energy and Petroleum will this week host the Green Hydrogen Symposium 2026 that will bring together global leaders, investors, policymakers, and industry players.Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Kingdom Bank has opened a new branch in Nairobi’s Industrial Area, expanding its physical footprint into one of the country’s most concentrated hubs of MSMEs.Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
President William Ruto’s administration has suffered a major blow after the High Court declined to lift orders barring it from selling a 15 per cent stake in Safaricom valued at over Sh205 billion.Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Kenya’s fintech and blockchain industry is stepping up calls for faster adoption of stablecoins as a solution to Africa’s costly and slow cross-border payment systems.Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
A consumer rights activist has moved to the High Court seeking to suspend fuel prices announced for May and June, argues increases unconstitutional, economically harmful.MOST READ
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
BUSINESS