US tariffs causing anxiety but no 'dramatic' economic impact: IMF chief

Business
By AFP | Apr 01, 2025

President Donald Trump signs an executive order in the Oval Office of the White House on March 31, 2025 in Washington, DC. [AFP]

US President Donald Trump's tariff threats are causing "a lot of anxiety," but their global economic impact is not expected to be dramatic, the head of the IMF said Monday.

Since his White House return in January, Trump has embarked on a stop-start rollout of tariffs against top trading partners, and threatened to impose additional levies on Wednesday, a day he has dubbed "liberation day."

In response to the tariff threats, global markets have taken a tumble, and US consumer confidence has plunged, although recent unemployment and inflation data is not yet flashing warning signs for the American economy.

"There is a lot of anxiety around developments," International Monetary Fund Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva said during a virtual event hosted by Reuters on Monday in response to a question on trade.

"But I would say there is also a silver lining in this process because it is forcing countries to take much more seriously how to build resilience on their own, based on their own policies," she said, noting the recent change in European defense investment.

Georgieva said the Fund may slightly downgrade its global economic forecast for this year of 3.3 percent, adding it does not currently predict a recession.

"We are not seeing dramatic impact" from tariffs, she added.

The IMF has conducted research showing that uncertainty around trade can have a negative impact on the economy and hold back growth.

"The sooner there is more clarity, the better," Georgieva said.

Share this story
Gulf Energy secures oil rig ahead of Lokichar project kick-off
Gulf Energy, the firm that last year took over the Turkana oil project, says it has leased an oil rig from a Middle Eastern firm that will be used to drill oil wells in Lokichar.
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
President William Ruto’s administration scored a major legal victory after the High Court declared the Privatisation Act 2025 constitutional, paving the way for the sale of key State corporations.
PwC now seeks buyers for Koko Networks assets
PwC has launched a search for buyers to acquire the business or assets of the collapsed Koko Networks Ltd, as administrators move to recover value for creditors.
Kenya Pipeline Company IPO extended by three working days
The Kenya Pipeline Company’s IPO has been extended by three days following approval by the Capital Markets Authority.
When fundamentals are stable but the patient is terrified
Kenya‘s Central Bank has reduced inflation without hurting the currency, lowered rates without causing capital flight and has established the credibility that gives Kenya options.  
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS