Nissan says expects $1.8 bn operational loss in 2025-26

Business
By AFP | Oct 30, 2025

Interior of a Nissan Navara from South Africa on display during Digger Motorshow 3rd edition at Standard group.[Wilberforce Okwiri,Satdard]

Struggling Japanese carmaker Nissan said it expected to suffer an operating loss of 275 billion ($1.8 billion) in its fiscal year that ends in March as it faces further economic headwinds.

It also said it expected an operating loss of 30 billion yen for the first six months of the fiscal year, which runs through September.

Nissan reported a net loss of 671 billion yen for the financial year to March 2025, and launched an effort cut 20,000 jobs, some 15 percent of its workforce.

The first-half operating loss of 30 billion yen is better than the automaker had been forecasting. Nissan attributed it to one-time benefits including lower costs to emission regulations. It said it had also deferred some project costs to the second half of the year.

"While our first-half results reflect temporary benefits and payback from cost-saving initiatives, we anticipate ongoing challenging competitive environment in the second half, supply chain risks and the seasonality of business," said Chief Financial Officer Jeremie Papin.

The expected worsening of its performance in the second half of its fiscal year reflected "anticipated challenges in the second half due to supply chain risks, foreign exchange volatility, tariffs, and other external factors," the automaker said in a statement.

It said it now expected sales of 11.7 trillion yen in 2025-2026, down from its initial estimate in May of 12.5 trillion yen.

Nissan has faced numerous speed bumps in recent years -- including the 2018 arrest of former boss Carlos Ghosn, who later fled Japan concealed in an audio equipment box.

A merger with Japanese rival Honda had been seen as a potential lifeline but talks collapsed in February when the latter proposed making Nissan a subsidiary.

Of Japan's major automakers, Nissan was seen by analysts as likely to be the most severely hit by US President Donald Trump's tariffs on imported vehicles

Share this story
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Centum Real Estate has begun handing over units at its 400-apartment Cascadia development within Nairobi’s Two Rivers, with phased delivery expected through December 2026.
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
Epra has increased the cost of using the pipeline to transport fuel from the Kenyan coast to the rest of the country. 
Why housing has become an economic crisis
The pertinent question at the 13th session of the World Urban Forum has not been if housing is important, but the justification that the global economy is hanging in the balance on its success.
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Accountants have been asked to become public finance stewards and ensure trust and transparency is restored in auditing public institutions.
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Decarbonisation of buildings in the construction sector has slowed globally, leaving it as a major source of emissions and increasingly vulnerable to climate impacts and energy price shocks.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS