TotalEnergies net profit drops as oil prices fall

Business
By AFP | Jul 24, 2025
The logo of the French energy company TotalEnergies can be seen on a price board for petrol and diesel at a filling station. [AFP]

TotalEnergies said Thursday its net profit plunged in the second quarter despite increased output as global oil and gas prices dropped.

Despite the 29 percent year-on-year drop in net profit in the second quarter to $2.7 billion, the French firm called its performance "robust".

It kept its revenue drop to 7.6 percent, to $49.6 billion, below the 10 percent fall in the price of Brent crude oil, the international benchmark.

That was thanks in part to a 2.5 percent boost in output, to an average 2.5 million barrels of oil equivalent in the second quarter.

"TotalEnergies delivered robust financial results in the second quarter," chief executive Patrick Pouyanne said in a statement.

"TotalEnergies continued to successfully execute its balanced multi-energy strategy, supported by sustained growth in hydrocarbon and electricity production," he added.

The company confirmed a second interim dividend of 0.85 euros per shares, an increase of almost 7.6 percent from last year, and up to $2 billion in share buybacks in this quarter.

Share this story
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
A decline in diaspora remittances, driven by Middle East conflict and rising living costs abroad, is deepening financial pressure on Kenyan households.
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi has appointed former Industrialisation Cabinet Secretary Adan Abdulla Mohamed as Commissioner General of the Kenya Revenue Authority for a three-year term.
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
The Ministry of Energy and Petroleum will this week host the Green Hydrogen Symposium 2026 that will bring together global leaders, investors, policymakers, and industry players.
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Kingdom Bank has opened a new branch in Nairobi’s Industrial Area, expanding its physical footprint into one of the country’s most concentrated hubs of MSMEs.
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
President William Ruto’s administration has suffered a major blow after the High Court declined to lift orders barring it from selling a 15 per cent stake in Safaricom valued at over Sh205 billion. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS