KRA blocked from using new cargo clearance system

Business
By Patrick Beja | Sep 25, 2024
Cargo at the port of Mombasa. [File, Standard]

The High Court has stopped Kenya Revenue Authority from introducing a new cargo clearance system at the port of Mombasa.

The taxman was ordered to stop implementing the Centralisation of Head Verification Officers (CHVO) because it failed to conduct public participation.

Justice Julius Ng'arng'ar noted that public participation is a necessary constitutional imperative.

"It is trite fact and admitted by the respondents that public participation was not done in respect to the changes effected by the respondents," he ruled.

In the ruling delivered on September 23, Justice Ng'arng'ar issued a conservatory order to stop KRA and the Commissioner of Customs and Border Control from further operationalization of the new system saying it was fundamentally flawed and in violation of the law.

This followed a petition filed by Mohamed Samow who argued that KRA and the Commissioner of Customs and Border Control failed to accord members of the public, importers and exporters the right to participate in the process of changing clearance of goods.

In the petition dated August 2, 2024, Samow through Omwenga Advocates said the respondents introduced the new system for purposes of the cargo clearance process without public participation which had adversely affected stakeholders.

The petitioner noted that in July, the respondents tried to introduce stakeholders' participation but this allegedly left out major stakeholders and interested parties because no public notice was published and that no single public forum was held.

Samow argued that the new system caused massive delays, demurrage and storage charges, increased the time frame for the release of goods, increased clearance cost, tariffs and barriers. He also argued that the system was cumbersome and lacked transparency, accountability, and efficiency.

Share this story
Gulf Energy secures oil rig ahead of Lokichar project kick-off
Gulf Energy, the firm that last year took over the Turkana oil project, says it has leased an oil rig from a Middle Eastern firm that will be used to drill oil wells in Lokichar.
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
President William Ruto’s administration scored a major legal victory after the High Court declared the Privatisation Act 2025 constitutional, paving the way for the sale of key State corporations.
PwC now seeks buyers for Koko Networks assets
PwC has launched a search for buyers to acquire the business or assets of the collapsed Koko Networks Ltd, as administrators move to recover value for creditors.
Kenya Pipeline Company IPO extended by three working days
The Kenya Pipeline Company’s IPO has been extended by three days following approval by the Capital Markets Authority.
When fundamentals are stable but the patient is terrified
Kenya‘s Central Bank has reduced inflation without hurting the currency, lowered rates without causing capital flight and has established the credibility that gives Kenya options.  
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS