Kenya Police, Kenya Prisons miss league championships again

Boxing
By Ben Ahenda | Sep 28, 2024
Nairobi County's Ben Nyamogo (right) and Glenstone Agade of Kenya Police in action.[Jonah Onyango, Standard]

By missing the league championships for the second time, defending champions Kenya Police have shattered their dreams of retaining the National Boxing League title for the seventh consecutive year.

The policemen are not taking part in the league championships that ends in Embu this afternoon after missing the first leg in Kisumu in June.

Former champions Kenya Prisons are equally not in Embu after missing the second leg of the league championships in Mombasa last month but attended the one in Kisumu.

As a result, their archrivals Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) are expected to clinch the title easily for the first time in six years.

Defence Force Boxing Association (DEFABA) chairman Paul Mung'ori said the title is theirs to lose.

"The league is DEFABA to lose. I had warned my arch rivals - Kenya Police to prepare a congratulatory message to us. So far, I'm happy with our performance in the league championships," Mung'ori told Standard Sports.

The soldiers fielded a full team of 13 boxers and several women pugilists and the competition was in the semifinal stages yesterday.

KDF team manager Ben Maingi said they hope to win the title despite the many roadblocks they have faced in the fight for top honours.

"We have had many roadblocks a number of times but it's through consistency and hard work that has made us reach here," Maingi said.

KDF are on top of the league table with 50 points ahead of the policemen (26 points) and Nairobi County (21 points).

Kenya Prisons head coach Bernard Ngumba confirmed they are not in Embu without giving reasons.

However, reliable sources at the higher ranks of government revealed that austerity financial measures had prevailed upon the two teams (Kenya Police and Kenya Prisons) to skip league championships by cutting down on unnecessary expenses.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS