Defeat of Nick Okoth leaves fans in shock

Boxing
By Ben Ahenda | Oct 28, 2021
National boxing team captain Nick Okoth. [File]

Kenyan boxers at the 21st World Boxing Championships in Belgrade, Serbia have posted dismal results, but it's the defeat of 2015 Africa Boxing Championships lightweight gold medallist Nick ‘Commander’ Okoth that stung the most.

Okoth, who is the most decorated and experienced boxer in the 13-man-squad, was lost to Alexy Dela Cruz of Dominican Republic on unanimous points decision.

Cruz was too good for the Kenyan captain in the final two rounds after Okoth had made a good start in the first round.

Gold medallists will pocket Sh11million), silver medallists Sh5.5,million and bronze medallists Sh2.7million.

So far, seven Kenyan boxers have lost their matches in the round of 32, with only Maurice Maina in the minimum weight making it to the last sixteen. He got a bye in the opening round.

The seven are flyweight David Karanja, lightweight Nick Okoth, light welterweight Victor Odhiambo light middleweight Boniface Mogunde, light heavyweight George Cosby Ouma, cruiseweight Hezron Maganga and heavyweight Joshua Wasike.

In all, 17 of the 41 boxers from Africa have been eliminated. Yesterday, featherweight Martin Oduor was set to meet Nkosi Lutaka of Democratic Republic of Congo.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS