Hope for boxer Conjestina Achieng after enrolement at Miritini Hospital

Boxing
By Odero Charles | Jul 05, 2022
Ailing female boxing legend Conjestina Achieng' arrived at Mombasa Women Hospital- Rehabilitation centre [Standard Videos]

There is hope and belief again after former Kenyan boxing star Conjestina Achieng was taken to a mental treatment center in Mombasa.

The former World Boxing Association middleweight champion has been suffering from mental illness since 2011 when she was diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder.

The boxer who hails from Siaya County has since been in and out of hospital for the last decade.

On Monday, former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko took Achieng' to the Mombasa Women Empowerment Network Hospital in Miritini for treatment.

Videos and photos of the boxing star had sparked an uproar with Kenyans infuriated at the manner in which the government had abandoned her.

The former World Boxing Council, WBC, middleweight Champion was seen in a sad state in her rural home in Siaya County.

Sonko on Saturday highlighted the plight of Kenyan boxing legend Conjestina Achieng’ who has been ailing for a while.

Through a post on social media, Sonko shared a message sent by Conjestina’s son Charltone Otieno, asking for help to ensure his mum is back to her best.

Conjestina Achieng was brought by former Nairobi governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko who has now handed her over to the centre where she will start her treatment [Standard Videos]

In the text, Charltone said he would like to take his mum to a rehabilitation centre and highlighted that they might need spiritual guidance.

He referred to a photo of Conjestina that went viral last week and requested Sonko to facilitate their transport and accommodation as they seek treatment.

“I request if you can give any kind of support. We wish to take her back to rehab again so she can regain her shape. We have been advised to take her for prayers and we believe it’s going to work,” said Charltone.

Charltone Otieno [Standard]

Sonko, on his part, said he was saddened by the plight of the former boxer and hit out at leaders who have neglected Conjestina despite being one of the sports legends of the country.

“I'm truly saddened by this WhatsApp message from Conjestina's son. Our leaders are busy campaigning while one of our shujaas who once made this country proud is currently languishing in poverty and needs help due to her ill health. “

Ailing female boxing legend Conjestina Achieng' arrives at Mombasa Women Hospital- Rehabilitation centre. She has been brought by former Nairobi governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko who has now handed her over to the centre where she will start her treatment. pic.twitter.com/1l0AGR0MKk — The Standard Digital (@StandardKenya) July 4, 2022

Share this story
Kirimi powers to glory at VetLab Club event
Ericv Karimi is the overall winner of the eighth and final leg of the Kengen golf tournament series. 
Strathmore Swords bounce back to slice Eldonets in league battle
Strathmore University Swords bounced back from Saturday’s defeat to edge out Eldonets 67-64 in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) Women’s Premier League match on Sunday.
K'Ogalo silence Muranga Seal to move one win away from title
Record league champions Gor Mahia moved to within one win of another league title after beating Murang’a Seal 3-1 in a crucial SportPesa Premier League match on Sunday.
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City
Antoine Semenyo produced one of the great FA Cup final goals with an audacious back-flick that sealed a 1-0 win for Manchester City over Chelsea in the FA Cup final at the weekend.
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS