Why champions Butere Girls is the team to beat

Basketball
By Washington Onyango | Apr 04, 2026

Defending champions Butere Girls will be out to extend their dominance in Kisumu when the Kenya Secondary Schools Sports Association national Term One games start next week.

It will be a showdown of familiar giants and rising challengers in basketball.

Butere Girls head into the tournament as the team to beat, having won the national title for the last three years.  

Drawn in a tricky Group A alongside Moi Girls High, St. Brigid’s and a representative from North Eastern, the Western champions will rely on their experience and winning mentality to navigate the pool.

Butere coach Chris Odeke remains confident his side can continue their dominance and seal a rare fourth straight title despite losing seven players who were in Form Four last year.

“We respect every team here, but we believe in our system and the girls understand what it takes to win at this level. Our target is clear, we want a fourth title in a row. We have talented players especially from Grade 10 who are hungry to continue the streak,” said Odeke.

In the boys’ category, Coast region heavyweights Dr Aggrey will once again be among the favourites. Having lifted the title twice in recent years, in 2022 and 2024, the school has built a reputation for discipline and structure.

They face a stern Group A test against Dagoretti High, Lukenya School and defending champions Laiser Hill. Their opening matches could define their path, especially against Laiser Hill, a side they lost to in last years’ final.

Back in the girls’ competition, much attention will also be on Barchando Girls from Siaya County, who are making a return to the national stage after seven years away.

Their qualification came under unusual circumstances after an appeal saw Nyanza champions Agoro Sare and runners-up Asumbi Girls banned for one year for fielding ineligible players. In their place, Yala and Barchando qualified.

Barchando, who won bronze in 2016 and went on to compete at the East Africa games, believe they have what it takes to make a strong statement. Head coach John Migun is targeting a place in the semi-finals despite fielding a young squad.

“We have a young team, mostly Form Threes and Grade 10 players, but they have shown great character. Playing at the Nyanza regional finals gave them belief and exposure. We are not just here to participate, we are targeting the semi-finals,” said Migun.

Placed in Group B alongside Kaya Tiwi, Ikutha Girls and Loreto Girls, Barchando will need a fast start to stand a chance of progressing. Their match against Kaya Tiwi could be decisive in shaping the group standings.

Meanwhile, St Mary’s School Yala will be making history with their first ever appearance at the nationals in the boys’ category. Like Barchando, Yala’s path was cleared after the eligibility controversy at the regional level.

Yala head coach Seth Midigo said his team never lost focus even after falling 60-59 to Agoro Sare in the Nyanza finals.

“We continued training because we believed the process would be fair. The boys stayed ready and now we have our chance. We want to show what we can do,” said Midigo.

Midigo also called for fairness in school competitions. “Schools must play clean and win fairly. We have put the regional issues behind us and now our focus is to compete and make an impact.”

Yala have been drawn in Group B alongside giants Friends School Kamusinga and Mang’u High, setting up tough encounters for the debutants. Their clash with Kamusinga will be a real test of their readiness at this level.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS