Lebanon reopens airspace after Iran attack on Israel
Asia
By
AFP
| Oct 02, 2024
Transport Minister Ali Hamieh said Lebanon was reopening its airspace after closing it earlier on Tuesday because of "regional developments" after Iran launched a missile attack on Israel.
"After follow-up and based on the proposal" of those concerned in the civil aviation authority, "we announce the reopening of Lebanese airspace and therefore the resumption" of air traffic, Hamieh posted on X.
Iran launched around 180 missiles at Israel on Tuesday in response to the killings of Tehran-backed militant leaders including the head of the Hezbollah Lebanese group, Hassan Nasrallah.
READ MORE
TSC Amendment Bill, 2024: What MPs want
Faith Odhiambo: Two years of bold leadership at LSK
Junior Starlets players dominate Kenya U20 team
Why Coast traders want Senate to throw out Tobacco Bill
Orphan who benefited from Ebenezer scholarship excels in KCSE
Kenya's 'night runner': How a rural ritual with links to witchcraft became an urban staple
State faces new IMF test as loan talks resume
Why Omtatah wants court to block Sh2.8tr railway works
Making agriculture 'cool' again: How to win the youth back into big farming
Alarming clause in Religious Organisations Bill threatens our democracy
Most of the missiles were intercepted by Israeli air defences or by allied air forces before they reached Israel.
Earlier, Hamieh had said that "in consideration of the regional developments, the airspace will be closed to air traffic for two hours", adding that "the resumption of flights will be evaluated later".
It was Iran's second direct attack on Israel after a missile and drone attack in April in response to a deadly Israeli air strike on the Iranian consulate in Damascus.